Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ME Super Shutter Problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Pentax ME Super Shutter Problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan
Tinkerer
Username: Jan

Post Number: 57

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a peculiar problem with a Pentax ME Super: in aperture priority mode the shutter speed display in the finder is not consistent and neither is the exposure. When I activate the meter, the diodes in the finder will sometimes settle on a correct shutter speed and the camera will fire at that speed. No problem there…..

Sometimes however, the diodes will run up and down, with the ‘over’ and ‘under’ illuminated at the same time and shutter will fire at what appears to be 1/1000s, no matter which speed the diodes indicate. This happens with or without a lens on the camera. When a lens is mounted and the aperture ring turned the diodes will also behave intermittently, not always settling on one shutter speed. Rather, more than one diode will be lit at the same time - not adjacent diodes but diodes at both ends of the scale…..

Interestingly, in metered manual mode, all is at should be - whichever speed is indicated by the diode, that is the speed the camera will fire at.

Any ideas as to how to fix the intermittent issue in aperture priority mode?

Thanks,

Jan

Leesobing
Tinkerer
Username: Leesobing

Post Number: 41

Posted on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what type of lens do you using ?RIOCH P lens can not use in PENTAX slr some mode .
If using PENTAX lens ,ussing aperture priority mode you should turning aperturering in A MODE.

Jan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 58

Posted on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Pentax ME Super is from the 'pre A' days - meaning that any K-mount lens will work with it.

This issue is not lens related.

Thanks,

Jan

Jan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 59

Posted on Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry guys,

I am still at a loss as to what may be wrong with this ME Super. Would any of you have any hints as to where the problem may lurk?

Many thanks for a reply,

Jan

Walkersj
Tinkerer
Username: Walkersj

Post Number: 10

Posted on Monday, August 24, 2009 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My wife's Pentax Super ME which had been sitting on the shelf for some time was doing something similar. I thought maybe the contacts had oxidised on the A mark since that what it is was usually left on. I rotated the switch quite a few times to see if this would clean the contacts and it did seem to improve it, or maybe it was wishful thinking. Still give it a try to see if it makes any difference.

Don
Tinkerer
Username: Don

Post Number: 49

Posted on Monday, August 24, 2009 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The last poster has a good idea. I had an ME super back in the 90's. In humid weather, I ran into the same problem. Turning the asa dial & running up & down the shutter speeds would usually help. That + turning the lens from min - max aperture. If that doesnt do it then the top may have to come off to clean the resistors. Been a long time since I did this. A few years later, the shutter gave out & I've relied on an MX & K1000 both of which are still going strong.

Steve_roberts
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_roberts

Post Number: 33

Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 06:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds to me like the three sprung contacts and corresponding pads that connect the switch on the top plate to the body. The top comes off easily enough and the three pairs of contacts can then be cleaned with a little alcohol, perhaps bending the upper ones gently to increase their pressure on the pads, but don't overdo it. I also once cured a similar problem by soldering a thin insulated wire to the central ring/plate of the auto/manual/100/B switch and grounded it by trapping the other end under the nearest screw that attaches the top plate to the side of the pentaprism. I did this because the grounding arrangements seemed otherwise to rely on the conductive coating sprayed on to the plastic top plate.
Good luck,
Steve

Jan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 60

Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 07:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks for the hints - makes sense. I thought the problem was most probably related to a rotary switch or some kind of variable resistor.

Will give it a try and will report success or failure.

Best,

Jan

Jan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 61

Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Happy to report - SUCCESS! Did not even have to take the top cover off, vigorous turning of the top switch did the trick.

Many thanks,

Jan

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration