Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Seeking catadioptric lens experience Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Seeking catadioptric lens experience « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 125

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 07:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Sigma F8 500mm mirror lens (which I believe was marketed in USA under the name Spirotone). It is cosmetically mint and functionally perfect. Through the front end I can see that the primary mirror at the lens-mount is in perfect condition. Similarly - through the lens mount I can see that the secondary mirror as underside the central disc of the front-end glass, is also perfect.

However - there is an apparently flat glass as about half an inch beneath the front glass which carries the secondary mirror disc and it has some wipe marks which need cleaning off. At this time I cannot judge whether the marks are on its front face or its underside - but the facts will emerge once I can find a way into this monster.

Over the years I have variously stripped and rebuilt dozens of lenses - including some pretty tricky zooms - but this mirror-lens has me challenged. I have a nasty suspicion that it is all put together from the lens-mount end but I am not about to be reckless in following such an assumption. Better to ask those who have been there before. Any contributions whould be most welcomed.

Stuart Willis - from downunder.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 969

Posted on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a surprising amount of variety in cat lens design. I've had 5 of them, 3 of which I still have... I've only taken one apart, and that was just the very basic separation of the front and rear halves. Generally, mirrors have a simple single helical - essentially a front-element-focusing arrangement. On the one that I separated, the infinity and close focus stops were screws accessible from the outside of the focusing ring, and after pulling those out the front end just unscrewed. This exposes the primary mirror in the rear half, and the rear surface of the front corrector plate and the secondary mirror in the front half. I would not disassemble any further than this unless absolutely necessary, I expect that centering is pretty critical with all of the folds in the light path. I've seen some pretty nice performing mirrors and some really awful ones ... I wouldn't want to inadvertently turn one of the former into one of the latter.

Ethostech
Tinkerer

Post Number: 126

Posted on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thankyou Rick. There are some good leads within your reply - for which I thank you. I am sure you are absolutely right re the critical centering and that is why I was reluctant to access via the lens-mount end. I will remove all the rubber ring-grips and hope to find the focus-stop screw .. and proceed from there.

I note that the focusing ring "could" have had on its rear edge a simple engraved line as a focusing index but for some reason that indexer is a prominent cone which stands 6mm high and topped by a red spot. That's a complicated production expense if it is solely the focusing index so I figure it may in fact be the topside of the focusing-stop. It has no flats so would be easy to chew up in removal. Does this ring any bells with you ?

When I have done this job I will write an article for the Forum so that others might benefit.

Best

Stuart

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 970

Posted on Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 03:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My guess is that they just felt like making a big focusing index... I don't know though. I'd look under the rubber grip first.

Ethostech
Tinkerer

Post Number: 129

Posted on Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes. I suspect you are right.
Beneath the focusing rubber grip-sleeve I found a row of holes each 1cm apart and for the entire circumference. The focusing ring moves a full revolution from closest focus to infinity - and in one of those holes was a screw. Through the adjacent holes I could see the focusing ring projection as it approached and stopped. So disassembly was all plain sailing from that point.

It emerged that the grime/smears were in fact under the glass upon which the secondary disc mirror is mounted, so with some patience, Windex and cotton-buds I was able to restore that to crystal clarity.

I have still not worked out how one disassembles the extreme front plain glass - but it doesn't matter because the grime/smears were not in the airspace between the two.
All is now back together properly. I just have to remove the slotted screw to remove the rear element because of slight surface fungus on its underside .. and then replace the rubber grips. (I had to remove all the rubber grips because of differing diameters which would have triggered stretch during removal.)

It's been an interesting excursion and your initial contribution to my post was a great guideline and invaluable.
If anyone reading this thread happens to have a Nikon mount for this lens - I would be happy to buy it or, alternatively swap it for the present Pentax K Mount.

Right. Now to complete the job, mount on a Pentax K1000 on tripod and see if I can get some stunning girlie pictures on the beach. Well - maybe some birds in my garden :-))

Thankyou again Rick.

Best

Stuart

Ethostech
Tinkerer

Post Number: 131

Posted on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 07:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All is done now Rick and the lens is now as perfect as it gets.
Mostly I am incisive and intuitive with camera stuff - but sometimes totally blind and dumb ! Can you think of any logical reason why Sigma made the lens-mount rotatable and lockable by a milled thumbscrew? The mount is already secured by four set screws which ride in grooves and if not screwed up hard, enable the mount to rotate and then locked with the thumbscrew. But if those set screws are fully tightened at a preferred indexing point they make the thunbscrew totally redundant.

Either I need to eat more Shushi brain-food :-)
Or- Sigma does !

Stuart

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 971

Posted on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not off hand ... does the lens have a tripod socket on it? If so, the rotating mount might be for vertical shots. Other than that I can't think of a reason for it.

Hope you enjoy the lens! Let me know how well it performs, I've developed a sort of low-budget interest in these. I did some comparison shots of the moon with 3 lenses on my Flickr page, but they don't tell the whole story: my Tokina 500/8 came in last but it's a very handy lens and I use it more than the winners.

Ethostech
Tinkerer

Post Number: 133

Posted on Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 02:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes - I thought about the rotating mount in connection with vertical format shots but it didn't make much sense unless Sigma doesn't recognise that all modern tripods have the head capacity to achieve such. Regardless - yours is the only possible explanation. I will indeed report back to you on the performance of this lens. I am a Nikon F2 man but I have a mint condition Pentax ME Super to which I have now married this K-Mount Sigma Mirror Lens. The latter camera is an excellent companion in that it meters the lens in either AUTO or MANUAL SETTINGS. 400 ASA with a max aperture of F8 is totally useable in decent ambient light but the lens is not something one can whip out of one's gadget bag and snap away. Lots of care and a tripod needed.

If you send your email address to me at mailto:[email protected] I will send you a pic or two.
(I never post my regular ISP email address on any web forum and neither do I expect you to do so. The Spambots are definitely harvesting from Henry's Forum. I have proved it so many times.

Best

Stuart

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 646

Posted on Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have completely misunderstood the rational for a rotating tripod mount on a long lens, a technicality that clearly Sigma does.

If you change between vertical and horizontal formats using a tripod head, the optical axis of the lens moves in an arc across the subject. Clearly for technical photography this will mean that image centering will differ between the formats, unless the lens/camera are re-aligned on the center of the original subject field.

With the rotating tripod socket, the optical center remains 'locked' on the center of the subject as formats are changed.

This facility may not appear important to the casual user of long lenses, but to technical photographers it can be most useful. I have used both 500mm and 600mm cat lenses to record evidence/areas of damage in severely fire damaged buildings, so structurally unsafe that access to the areas was impossible by any other means. In cases such as this centering of the subject is important, especially so if you need to change formats to include all evidence.

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 91

Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 07:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The rotating tripod mount is also very useful with monopods and shoulder stocks, not to mention the various clamp-on mounts for use on fences, auto door glass, etc.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 975

Posted on Monday, August 31, 2009 - 03:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a modern tripod (a mid-1990s Slik 444)whose head does not have the capacity to achieve such. My 500/6.3 Maksutov mirror lens has 2 tripod sockets at 90 degrees from each other (actually it has 4 - both 1/4" and 3/8" at each location) and the other lenses that I have with tripod sockets have them on rotating collars for this purpose.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration