Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica TL Super.. worth it? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Yashica TL Super.. worth it? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jenateresa
Tinkerer
Username: Jenateresa

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I am really new to SLRs, I've been playing around with my mom's old Canon rebel Ti for a few years now.
Anyway, I found a nice looking Yashica TL-Super at a second hand shop for $10, and even though I couldn't get the shutter release button to work, I decided to get it anyway and see if I could work on it for a while.
Well, upon further inspection, I'm realizing that while the lens is pretty nice and seems to work fine, the whole shutter mechanism is shot. The film reversing button is stuck in, and will not budge, the film advance arm only moves about a quarter of the distance it should, and the self timer lever seems to be broken (it moves with no resistance) and makes the self-timer sound at random intervals. If I press the shutter button down a little, it will start making the self-timer sound.

Anyway, thought it would be fun to play around with this camera, and see if I could practice/learn repairs and learn about fully manual cameras in the process. But, I don't really know where to start with this one.. any advice on where to start, and what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

I've downloaded the operation manual, but haven't been able to locate a decent repair manual yet.

should I even attempt this, or am I in over my head?
thanks in advance!

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 152

Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It has a jammed film advance it seems. Not that hard a job but intermediate at least.

If you have an eBay account sell the lens alone but ask me first the secret to selling these.

Upnorthw
Tinkerer
Username: Upnorthw

Post Number: 11

Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 07:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Keep trying the shutter button, it might run down the self timer. Then if your lucky the shutter will fire and free up the camera.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 156

Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"should I even attempt this, or am I in over my head? "

You can do it. It's a standard and common design.

Set no time frame and get a start on it.

Popkorn520
Tinkerer
Username: Popkorn520

Post Number: 6

Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok Tom, you got my attention...what's the secret???

Nayubogen
Tinkerer
Username: Nayubogen

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please try this:
Take a look at the shutter release bar inside top cover, pressing it should leave alone a hard stop for a enchased brass gear. Keeping shutter release bar pressed down, use a screw driver to turn that gear closewise, if you are lucky, it will trig the shutter, and then film winding will start to work also.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration