Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus Trip 35 question Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Olympus Trip 35 question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently acquired a Trip 35 that seems to be functioning well, however, it seems to have a peculiar hitch. When I advance the film with the thumbwheel, it advances one frame and stops. When I attempt to press the shutter release it sometimes will not fully depress until I turn the thumbwheel forward slightly. It seems that the tension from the film is causing the thumbwheel to "back off" slightly. This does not happen when there is no film in the camera. Also, with no film in the camera, I can turn the thumbwheel backwards until the shutter opens fully.
My question: Is this normal? Is my camera missing the mechanism that prevents the thumbwheel from turning backwards?
Thanks

Olympfix
Tinkerer
Username: Olympfix

Post Number: 15

Posted on Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 05:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aaaaah the wonderful, fabulous, extraordinary Trip- 10 million sold and most still operating.... only thing that goes wrong usually is oily diaphragm... relatively easily fixed. Now....the ratchet on the advance wheel is under the wheel which is under the counter. Top removal is simple- three screws, but when re-assembling, make sure you don't pinch the wire to the flash.two screws removes counter. BUT, the next wheel is attached to the advance sprocket and only removable from the bottom-fairly straight forward, but unexpected...watch the spring.. the ratchet is then accessible and adjustable to fix your problem. Fabulous sharp lens, no batteries, ... a classic in design. It'll still be going in 2100AD, but will there be film????

Olympfix
Tinkerer
Username: Olympfix

Post Number: 16

Posted on Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 06:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooops, I'm wrong-it's a couple of years since I got into a Trip- they don't go wrong!!!-- the gear which is turned by the counter assembly is easily removable by unscrewing ( ordinary right hand thread)off the top of the thumb wheel advance. This exposes the ratchet assembly, and if you loosen the screw, the base pivot is rotatable and is asymmetric around the centre pivot .This should cure the problem....

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 125

Posted on Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 08:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree. One of the best compacts from Olympus. In my experience, the red flag/no shoot system goes pear shaped in a number of them. This because of a small spring located behind the top of the lens, goes PING. A replacement spring can be fixed with lens in place,but never again for me. I was cross-eyed for a wwek.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks folks! This was an easy fix. The ratchet was simply sticky with dirt and would not "mesh" with the sprocket. A simple cleaning and its working perfectly!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration