Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Sea & Sea Motormarine II Battery Cove... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Sea & Sea Motormarine II Battery Cover Stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Elwrongo
Tinkerer
Username: Elwrongo

Post Number: 32

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 02:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I'm not sure if this classifies as a classic but I would like to get it going. This one is an underwater camera that takes two AA batteries. Now the manual says turn the knob on the fron to open the battery chamber (its should drop out, downwards) but mine won't. There's nothing to grip onto and no hole that prisable. Probably there's an exploded battery mess waiting in there. Any ideas to gently help it open before I resort to something more drastic?Sea & Sea Motormarine II

Elwrongo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 33

Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's an actual picture of the battery cover. As you can see there is no place to grab it or prise it open. Although by the looks of those markes someone has had a go.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 654

Posted on Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 07:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Presuming the release knob is actually turning the internal catch, you could try the following. Drill a small hole in the centre of leg on second T to take a small, panhead self tapping screw. Using aforesaid screw and a suitably sized washer, fasten a length of surplus nylon strap or plastic parcel strapping to the cover. Use the strap as a 'pull' to remove the cover.

I have used this on a number of similar stuck covers - not on this camera however. Note that sometimes two holes, situated around the B and the Y, can give better purchase if there is a real mess in the compartment. It is also worth mentioning that I have come across damaged internal latches - knob shaft just rotates in the catch because shaft has sheared or splines/square are rounded. In my cases all the outer knobs were retained by a centre screw, removal of which allowed a screwdriver to be jammed into the latch proper and then rotate it.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 655

Posted on Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 07:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should have added that holes are sealed with suitable sealant or adhesive and stubs of suitable plastic - all depends on what type of plastic the cover is molded from.

Elwrongo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 36

Posted on Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 07:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Glenn, I got it open eventually by just tapping it on my knee and slowly a battery chamber came forth and then suddenly fell out on the carpet. No corrsion or exploded batteries! Cleaned contacts. New problem. Lights come on and shutter fires but the motor advance is extremely weak. hardly moving (which you need to charge the shutter). This is with brand new Energizer Lithium batteries. mmmmm. thanks again

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration