Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak Retina Reflex IV question Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Kodak Retina Reflex IV question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently acquired a Retina Reflex IV in very good condition. The only problem is that I cannot see the reflected image of the aperture and shutter speed in the viewfinder. I suspect that a mirror or something has shifted. Are there any pitfalls to removing the top of this camera?
Also, I am not familiar with vintage Kodaks. Is this camera reliable (ie. a user) or more of a display item. Is it worth much?

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 158

Posted on Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, it's probably a mirror or prism (can't remember which) fallen out of place and ready to cause the next problem.

Is the camera reliable? Yes, after a complete overhaul. It's like most of the other leaf shutter SLR's: Bessamatics, Contaflexes, Kowas, Topcons, etc.

The last thing a repairman wants to see come in the door. Can you fix it? Patience and persistence conquers all. It's not what I would recommend as an early repair experience.

If you paid to have it professionally repaired, it would be worth less than the cost of repair.

But if you regard it as a hobby, it could be an interesting experience.

Jon_goodman
Tinkerer
Username: Jon_goodman

Post Number: 39

Posted on Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is a mirror that has become de-cemented as I recall. You probably can hear it rattling around in there if it has totally become loose, but it may be hanging by a thread and just shifted. I worked on these but quit about 5 or 6 years ago and sold all the parts I had to Mr. Chris Sherlock. Nice camera. A bit over-engineered, but fun to use and sharp.
Good luck.
Jon

Jeongyun
Tinkerer
Username: Jeongyun

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 07:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you cock the shutter?

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes. Everything seems to be working fine except for the little reflection that is supposed to be visible in the viewfinder.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 16

Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK. I have taken the top off of the Reflex - no problem.
I have 2 loose mirrors and only one obvious place where one may have originated. The mirrors are identical. I can see no glue residue where the second mirror may have been mounted, but there appears to be some glue on the back of one of the mirrors. I will try to attach some photos in hopes that it will jog someones memory.
Help please!Retina Reflex periscopeRetina Reflex IV front of periscopeRetina Reflex IV pentaprism and mirror

Rainbowgoldfox
Tinkerer
Username: Rainbowgoldfox

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 05:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also have the problem of jammed shutter for my Retina IV, I unscrewed all stuffs on the top cover, but there was something still locked the cover on the right side near the light sensor that made it cannot be removed. Top cover may be hanging up on the film speed lock. I saw there Waynemel can remove top cover. Can Waynemel or somebody tell me how to remove the cover?

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 17

Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 06:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you removed the small button below the film speed indicator that is used to adjust the film speed? It should unscrew easily with a pencil erasor.
If you are able to remove the top, can you have a look for the small mirrors so I know where to glue mine back in place?

Rainbowgoldfox
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 07:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have successfully opened the top cover. Thanks Waynemel! I think your mystery mirror should be put in the place marked red. mystery mirror

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 18

Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thats great! Thanks.
I think I have that mirror in place already, but I still have an extra. I will have to have a look at my camera later (when I'm at home).
I found the two mirrors loose, in between the metal bracket that holds the pentaprism and the pentaprism itself.

Rainbowgoldfox
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK! I am still struggling on find out the problem of jammed shutter. I think I should need more technical notes on this camera.
If you need help for the place of your mystery mirror when you back to home, just let me know!

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 19

Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 05:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have looked at my camera, and I have the mirror in place that is in your photo (the bottom of the front periscope). I also have the mirror at the top of the front periscope and the two mirrors at the bottom and top of the rear periscope (see my photos). The fifth mirror is a mystery. Can you see if it is mounted to the front of the pentaprism? Is it mounted anywhere else in the general area (the meter window area perhaps)?
As far as your stuck shutter, if it is closed you can try flushing it with lighter fluid. If it is "cocked" it may spring back to life.

Rainbowgoldfox
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 09:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will try to take a look when I am back to home.
I have a trouble after opening the top cover and take off the light sensor. I advanced the film lever, but it was stuck and not going back again. I think I was doing something wrong.

Rainbowgoldfox
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 07:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Waynemel,I also found four mirrors as you described. There is no fifth mirror. I think that should be an extra mirror left when manufacturing or in last repairing.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 20

Posted on Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is odd.
Thanks for your help.
Good luck with the stuck shutter.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 21

Posted on Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have replaced the four mirrors and left the "extra" one out. When I replace the top without the pentaprism, I can see numbers (although I can only see the shutter speed - I should be able to see the aperture setting as well).
When I put the pentaprism in place, the numbers are not as clear, and appear upside down!
Does ANYONE have ANY idea what the configuration of the mirrors is supposed to be?

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 22

Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to finish off this long string - I have replaced and VERY carefully aligned the loose mirrors. Now I can see both numbers clearly. Any misalignment of these tiny mirrors results in only partially visible numbers. They may have been appearing upside down due to a reflection off of the pentaprism.
The "mystery" mirror appears simply to be an extra - left in by accident at the factory. It was probably stuck to the back of one of the others. I hope whomever assembled this camera didn't change careers and become a surgeon.
Anyway, if anyone is missing one of these tiny mirrors, I have an extra.

Rainbowgoldfox
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I finally loosed the rack and gear in front of the prism that made the shutter close again. I think that is the place make the shutter keep opening. But I get another problem. I do not know why the film advance lever still blocked even I release the film counter to zero. I try open the bottom plate by removing the advance lever. I pry-out the leather and unscrewed two screws, but the lever still stay firm. How can I remove the film advance lever?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration