Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contax 139 shutter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Contax 139 shutter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dub
Tinkerer
Username: Dub

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello!

Could someone please help me out with the following problem:
I have a Contax 139 that used to work just fine. I did not use it for roughly three years and now the shutter curtain does not open (and close) when the shutter release button is pushed. What happpens is that as soon as the button is pushed the mirror flips up, but the shutter mechanism is blocked. The blocking can be overcome by turning the attached lens (a 1,7 50mm Planar or a 28mm Distagon, it's the same with both lenses) anti-clockwise until the point where the lens can be removed from the body. Just before that point the shutter is suddenly "free" and it fires.

The whole operation works flawlessly if there is no lens on the body.

Any ideas what may cause this problem?

Thank you very much,

Marc

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 160

Posted on Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As you have tried two lenses, I would say that the problem is in the camera.

I would try flush cleaning the mechanism by removing the bottom plate and flush cleaning with naptha

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 45

Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 02:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I would try flush cleaning the mechanism by removing the bottom plate and flush cleaning with naptha"

Which mechanism???? There's not much you can reach by just removing the bottom plate and what you can reach is unlikely to be the cause of this. Very bad advice if you ask me...

The most likely answer is that the mirror is catching the back of the lens which is stopping it from going fully up. The shutter won't fire untill the mirror is fully up. Once you remove the lens, the mirror clears and the cycle completes.

Simple test is to try with no lens fitted.

The mirror is, I think, glued into place and it's possible it's slipped in it's housing so the mirror extends further forward than it should and is why it's catching the back of the lens. Here's what it should look like...

139mirror.jpg

Note that the edge of the mirror is flush with the edge of it's housing. If yours extends further, that's the problem.

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 46

Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 07:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just noticed you said you had tried it without a lens and it worked OK - which proves the mechanism is working OK and doesn't need any cleaning or repairing.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 161

Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sorry to have upset you, Monopix. My bad.

Sometimes these are left in very hot automobiles and glue softens and the mirror slides down. It's the same on the Yashica FX-D and I have seen it several times. The glue can be softened with a hair dryer and the mirror slid back up.

Marcoventurini
Tinkerer
Username: Marcoventurini

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 07:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am experiencing the very same problem with my 139, and I must say the explanation that you give makes perfect sense.

Marcoventurini
Tinkerer
Username: Marcoventurini

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 07:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cooked the camera and now it works!

Thanks!!!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration