Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

MINOLTA X-370N Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » MINOLTA X-370N « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rlc
Tinkerer
Username: Rlc

Post Number: 79

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Just aquired a cosmetically mint Minolta X-370N.
With fresh batteries installed the following:
1. Shutter seems to be cocked as the wind on lever will not advance from the stand off position.
2. With switch "on" when shutter release is pressed lightly the LED's in finder light up.
3. When release is fully pressed down the LED's immediatly extinguish but the shutter will not fire.
4. Switch must be turned "off" then "on" again to repeat the same conditions as above.
Shutter seems to be cocked but will never release.
Thanks for any help with this issue.
Richard.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 163

Posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like the typical Minolta X series capacitor problem. If you don't want to search the archives here, try this link:

http://www.twid.de/x700/#fixc

There is no need to remove the old capacitor and solder in the new one to determine if this is the problem. Just touch the leads of the new cap to the old contacts with correct polarity and attempt to release the shutter. If it releases, remove the old and solder in the new. It's fixed.

It's a cheap capacitor, 15 cents in bulk. That's why they fail in five to ten years. Design life.

Rlc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 81

Posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mikel; Thank you so very much. It's my understanding that the X-370N is the same as the X-300. Is that correct?
From the info you have generously supplied I found that the Cap.in question is a 4V 220mf.
I am profoundly ignorant regarding electronics but I will start my search at Radio Shack when I check to get the physical dimensions of the questionable one in the camera base.
I'm very grateful for your response.
Richard.

Jon_goodman
Tinkerer
Username: Jon_goodman

Post Number: 43

Posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please send me an email, Richard. You will have no luck at "the shack" (as they now want to be called). I think I have what you need...the real trick is the size. Too big and it just won't fit.
They aren't 15 cents in bulk anymore, though...about 43 cents the last time I looked unless you're ordering 1,000 or more.
The correct polarity is critically important. There is a - and a + to the electrolytic capacitors and you really need to observe that.
Jon

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 164

Posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, it's the same as the 300.

Jon is correct as you will not get much help at the shack.

And Jon, order a thousand at Mouser and you'll get them at a better price! I hope you can help our poster. I have a bag of them around here somewhere, but who knows where.

Rlc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 82

Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Mikel and Jon for sharing this info with me.
Jon, I will send you an Email. I will also want to replenish my supply of your light seals.
Richard.

Jon_goodman
Tinkerer
Username: Jon_goodman

Post Number: 44

Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Mikel. I would order 1,000, but probably my wife would beat me over the head with the sack. (Mouser is who I use...they're not far from me, actually)
Jon

Rlc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 84

Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SUCCESS! Thanks to Mikel and Jon. After replacing the faulty capacitor, the camera now is fully functional. It looked as tho' the bad capacitor had leaked the electrolyte as fluid was present around the negative terminal.
Thanks again for the expert advice Mikel and Jon.
Richard.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration