Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon MD-2 sick? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Nikon MD-2 sick? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 15

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hoping one or more of y'all is familiar with the MD-2 motor drive for the Nikon F2. I bought a very clean example last week. It came with the MB-2 battery pack, which isn't nearly as popular as the MB-1. The motor drags when rewinding film and when winding the first four or five frames on a new roll. After that it behaves normally.

The batteries are fresh alkalines. At first I was wondering if the MB-2 might be the culprit, since it has 2 fewer AAs than the MB-1 does. But I also kinda doubted it. Then I located a .pdf file of the MD-2 user manual, and it gives essentially interchangeable mention between the MB-2 and MB-1. So, now I'm less inclined to believe that this severe dragging is caused by the MB-2.

Perhaps the motor's sat so long it's gummed up somewhere inside? The durn thing looks like it's almost never been used.

What I'm hoping didn't happen is that this drive got dunked in water (especially salt water), then got cleaned up real nice to be sold to an unsuspecting customer.

Michael

Cooltouch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 16

Posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to add to the above:

After loading a new roll of film with the back still open, I hit the shutter release while holding the film leader in place in the take-up spool. Just having a light hold of the leader was enough to cause the drive to drag some. I was surprised by this. Any idea what may be causing this condition?

Michael

Clay
Tinkerer
Username: Clay

Post Number: 27

Posted on Friday, September 18, 2009 - 07:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The MD-2 motor drive should work with anything
between 10 to 15 volts D.C.
Unlike the MD-1, the MD-2 uses a nylon gear in the
drive system. It can wear and crack. Sover Wong can
replace it with a brass gear if that is the problem.

http://soverf2repair.webs.com/

My MD-2 has been running my F2AS since they were
new in the late 1970's, no problems so far.
Best regards,

/Clay

Cooltouch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 17

Posted on Friday, September 18, 2009 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the response, Clay. Somehow I don't think t's that gear. The drive functions normally once four or five frames have been wound onto the take-up spool. It acts more like the batteries are almost dead. But they're new. I need to pull out my multimeter and poke around with it some, see if it might suggest anything. I'll report back if I find anything seemingly out of the ordinary.

Michael

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration