Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rollei SL35 E full aperture metering Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Rollei SL35 E full aperture metering « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nigelr
Tinkerer
Username: Nigelr

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I recently bought both a Rollie SL35 E and a Voigtlander VSL 3-E both with their standard 50mm lens. Neither of them appear to meter correctly at full aperture, only stopped down (when you rotate the aperture ring the body acts like the lens is still at full aperture) . Both lenses are of the "2 pin" variety that engage on the body to tell them the aperture of the lens so should work. I am assuming that the fault is in the bodies. Does anybody know what the problem might be and a possible solution?
Thanks
Nigel

Rollei35guy
Tinkerer
Username: Rollei35guy

Post Number: 9

Posted on Friday, September 18, 2009 - 07:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you sure the aperture pin on the lens is connecting to the body? It's possible to put the lens on and that pin be out of position.

The other possibility is wear. The lever the lens aperture pin connects to moves a contact across a potentiometer type device. The surface of this can wear away with use.

When you meter at full aperture are you getting a reading? Or are all the led indicator lights on?

Nigelr
Tinkerer
Username: Nigelr

Post Number: 7

Posted on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry for the delay in replying, when you try to meter at full aperture with the shutter dial set to "A", the leds light for a given shutter speed but if you vary the aperture the shutter speed doesn't change as I would expect.

If you meter stopped down (plunger in) the shutter speed goes up and down as you vary the aperture.

I had the front of the lens mount off and looked at the pot, difficult to see if it is worn, I cleaned it and increased the pressure of the contacts with no improvement. I guess I need to find where the wires from the pot go and put a meter across them.

When I metered across the actual tracks I seemed get sensible readings.

If I manually move the body side connector for full aperture metering without a lens fitted it still doesn't appear to change the shutter speed.

The full aperture pin appears to engage and move the wiper on the tracks.

So either the tracks are worn or the circut down stream is duff.

I guess I will probably end up selling the lens which is good and then sell the body for spares.
It is curious that both bodies have the same fault.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Nigel

Shingoshi
Tinkerer
Username: Shingoshi

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 05:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe there needs to be a global alert posted for everyone to know not to buy these. I just got one myself, although I'm still waiting for delivery. Got it from eBay where the seller described a problem with the film advance and shutter mechanism. He says the shutter works fine. But that the film advance apparently needs to be fully extended for the shutter to fire. He still hasn't gotten back to me yet, and I'm getting annoyed. But hey, I only paid $5.50!

Xavian-Anderson Macpherson
ShingoshiDao

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration