Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Bessa R3A rangefinder adjustment / ca... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Bessa R3A rangefinder adjustment / calibration « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tomperson
Tinkerer
Username: Tomperson

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 06:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all!! !

Maybe this is not the correct forum to post this (the bessa is a new camera after all), but I'm quite desperate...

Less than a month ago, and with some great advice from people here on photo.net and rangefinder forum, I bought a Bessa R3A from B&H.

The camera is lovely, but as many people has already experienced, it came with an off rangefinder patch (infinity focus and vertical position out of alignment). I'm so frustrated with having a brand new camera with the rf patch off. And it was bought in the US (B&H) but I live in south america, so it's a royal pain sending it back to get it fixed.

So, I investigated on this, and came accross Arran Salerno's instructions for rangefinder adjustment http://www.arransalerno.com/blog/2008/08/01/bessa-rangefinder-calibration/. They are definitely the best out there.

I managed to get the cover off. I wouldn't have imagined the adjustment screws were so deep inside the body, though. The thing is, I wasn't able to fix the infinity focus (it's quite off), as the screw was so tight, and I'm worried about breaking something inside as i've read on many places that the whole mechanism should be handled delicately.

I have a couple of questions. Do you know which movement (clockwise, counterclockwise) moves the patch to the left or right? How much is it necessary to move the screw to actually see a difference? (1/4 of a turn, 1/8 of a turn, etc). What size screwdriver should i use to move the infinity focus screw? How "delicate" do I have to be? I mean, i haven't been able to move the patch so either I'm being too delicate, or the screw is too tight or something like that. Any input will be highly appreciated.-

Thanks.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Impman71
Tinkerer
Username: Impman71

Post Number: 12

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
I have a Bessa R2 that I have had to adjust a couple of times now, don't know if it's exactly the same but probably very similar.
Its possible there is a dab of paint locking the screw, if it wont budge with the correct size srewdriver try a tiny drop of acetate (nail varnish remover) to soften the paint, then turn the screw.
When you get the screw loosened, you will feel that it is in like an eccentric cam which from memory you can move in all directions (don't undo the screw too much, there is no need & don't panic if it feels like it's all moving around a lot).
Have it on a tripod aimed at something a fair distance away, lens set to infinity & with the screw just slightly loosened move the screwdriver (not turning it in the screwhead)slightly pushing the srew side to side, fore to aft, to get a fell of how it moves, whilst looking through the viewfinder to see what effect you're having.
It's quite fiddly & time consuming getting it spot on, horizontally & vertically & it tends to move slighltly when you go to lock the screw up (not too tight) & you have to try again!
It's worth it in the end though.
Hope this helps.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration