Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

OM2 shutter ! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » OM2 shutter ! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mahesh
Tinkerer
Username: Mahesh

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 07:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All!

I just joined this great forum here. What a find!

Would one of you experts here kindly help me, please?

I have never owned an OM2. Some one, generously, gave me an OM2 body, Saturday.
The shutter doesn't load.

I do need to put batteries in it. I know SR44 are the ones I need to buy. But wouldn't / shouldn't the shutter work manually?

I can, indeed, reset it, using the 'B' aligning button at the base. The mirror comes unstuck from the top and falls where it should. Then I can load the shutter and fire it...but...the 'curtain' does move at all...i.e., no film exposure.

I would expect, in absence of battery power, an OM2, to at least 'fire'.

Perhaps, it's a silly scenario, I'm creating here. May be just need to put in the batteries.
I can scarcely wait till the shops open, being Sunday afternoon.

Thank you kindly, for any suggestions/advice you may have for me.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 984

Posted on Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 07:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, the OM2 shutter is completely electronic, there is no mechanical emergency function. Until you load batteries, it will not fire.

Mahesh
Tinkerer
Username: Mahesh

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, thank you Mr Oleson!

Olympfix
Tinkerer
Username: Olympfix

Post Number: 17

Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick is right, if the camera is on any speed setting except "B" . On "B", the shutter should open and close with the shutter release button... (as it does without batteries on "B") It is mechanical on "B" . If the shutter isn't working on "B", it's mechanical; if it works on "B", but not on the other speeds, it could be mechanical or electrical, including a fairly complex set of lever timing and clearances during release, and confirming the mirror switch on the side of the mirror box is also working. Not for the faint hearted...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration