Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Another Canonet issue (and a strange ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Another Canonet issue (and a strange one) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 12

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canonet QL19 with a Copal SV shutter which had the usual stuck shutter issue. I cleaned the shutter and aperture blades as per many discussions on this page (thanks). All seemed well until the shutter started to open when the advance lever was cranked and close immediately after the crank was returned (without pressing the shutter release). I think I managed to get things back in sync by putting the shutter on "bulb" and changing the shutter speed while the advance lever was half cranked. So now all seems well, EXCEPT the shutter seems slow when set to 1/60 sec. All other speeds seem good. 1/60th seems closer to 1/8th. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this? Could this be related to a flash sync issue?

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 04:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK. So now the camera has reverted back to being "out of sync". The shutter opens when the film advance lever is cocked and closes when it is released. I'm beginning to not like Canonets.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 988

Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My guess is that the shutter is not cocking completely. I would check your assembly and make sure everything is in its correct place.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I think I have solved one problem. There is a small tab on the shutter release lever that has to engage a notch on the main shutter release cam. (Please excuse my incorrect technical terminology - I'm not sure what their proper names are) This will lock the shutter in the cocked position. I carefully bent this tab slightly and it seems to be engaging now.
However, there is still the issue of the slow 1/60th setting. It is a little confusing, because on the speed setting plate, the 1/60th position has a longer travel for the delay mechanism than does the 1/30th and 1/15th positions. This seems to go against logic, but I assume there should be another mechanism at play somewhere to allow the shutter to close more quickly at 1/60th. Could it just be dirty still?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 989

Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There should be 2 pins: one sets the distance that the delay mechanism has to travel - this is the one that you mentioned - the second is one that engages or disengages the pallet into the star wheel teeth to adjust the speed of the mechanism's travel. This will ride in a different slot in the cam, and it engages when you go from 60 to 30. The pin may be out of its slot, or it may be bent or broken. This is one that sometimes gets mashed if you fail to get it into its slot and then tighten the cam and front cover back down onto the shutter... you may find it bent over sideways a bit.

In this photo, the "first pin" is just above my thumb, about even with the middle of the focus knob of the camera, and the "second pin" is at the end of the arc-shaped arm at the top of the escapement module, just to the left of the 2 red arrows:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/28c-detail.jpg

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You were right Rick. The pin on my camera looks like it has been broken off completely. Thats why I didn't notice it before. It's different than in the picture you provided (very thin and brass) but I can see clearly what it was supposed to do.
I'll guess I will have to look for a replacement or try to fabricate one.
Thanks for your help.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration