Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contax/Kiev Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Contax/Kiev « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 132

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm hoping to replace the broken viewfinder window on a Contax 2 with one from a Kiev, which from the outside appears to be of identical size. Are any nasty surprises lurking under the top plate of a Contax?

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 168

Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The earlier Kiev you have, the better chance you have. There are no nasty surprises in your quest.

Up to say, the mid 1950's, I would say that the Kievs were basically Contax II's made in the Ukraine. The parts are nearly all interchangeable. The quality is very good.

I have a 1955 Kiev and the workmanship is excellent. It looks and feels the same as my 1938 Contax II. Later stuff tended to degrade remarkably. But now early Kievs in good shape are collectors items and a bit expensive.

But I would give it a try with whatever Kiev you can find as a donor as your chances are probably good!

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 133

Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello & thank you.
Having never entered the inner sanctums of a Contax, I was did wonder what might be waiting, relative to the shutter speed control. Job will have to wait until I'm back from holiday.

Mike_kovacs
Tinkerer
Username: Mike_kovacs

Post Number: 21

Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 04:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't recall there being anything special about the viewfinder glass. It slides into a metal frame so as long as its approximately the correct thickness, you could even cut your own from a suitable piece of glass.

I would think the Kiev is going to be even easier.

Top506
Tinkerer
Username: Top506

Post Number: 13

Posted on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 04:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Microscope slide cover works nicely.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration