Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

SRT 101 & 200 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » SRT 101 & 200 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 81

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 25, 2009 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I presently have two SRT 101s and one SRT 200 with the same problem. A common problem which I read about on this site. Upon firing the shutter, the mirror stays in the up position and then goes down when the advance lever is cocked. Thus far I haven't read about any solution. The sad thing is the meters work in all three cameras and it's a shame I can't figure out how to fix the problem. With the bottom removed, I notice that one of the sliding cams move as it's supposed to but doesn't reset itself. The problem appears to be inside the bottom of the lens mount. I started to remove the lens mount but chickened out because the cord which changes the F stops came off, so I thought I'd better stop until I get some direction as to where I go from there. Anyone know of any SRT repair sites that would address this problem. At this point I might as well continue dismantling the 101 until I locate what the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 170

Posted on Friday, September 25, 2009 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are a whole series of issues which can cause the described problem. In each case, I'd first try to physically move the shutter curtain to the rewind side of the camera and see if it released the mirror.

I'd grasp the shutter curtain between the finger and thumb and nudge it toward the rewind side. If the mirror drops, you have a clean-lubricate-adjust issue ahead of you.

Not unusual or unexpected with a manual mechanical camera of thirty to forty years ago.

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 108

Posted on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 02:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This link is certainly useful http://www.willegal.net/photo/srt/photo-srt.htm.
I learnt a lot about SR-Ts from the archives like here https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/15681/12014.html. You can also turn to other sources on the net, look here, for example, http://www.iespana.es/bowman/minoling02.html
If those links do not help, I can only think of what I did when learning to repair my buch of ageing SR-Ts: I got myself a pretty run-down jumper, ripped it apart and studied how everything worked together. This gives you more insight into the matter than anything else.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 143

Posted on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 03:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The SRT range are nice cameras but not easy to work on as any serious disassembly runs the risk of disturbing spacer screws around the prism frame (3), and under the front panel (5). Scribe their positions and put a spot of superglue on the threads so they won't lose their correct orientation. Only go into those areas as a last resort.
If the mirror stays up after exposure BUT the second curtain runs off, this indicates the second curtain hasn't got enough momentum to activate the kick gear. Don't be tempted to increase the roller tension. The kick gear could also be binding, similarly the tip of the mirror release latch that the kick gear pushes against. Try lube on these parts, accessible under the bottom cover.
Access to the shutter bushings, brake mechanism and mirror tensioning lever is under the battery box. Remove the 3 screws and lift off the unit. The brass bushings are visible for cleaning etc., if necessary. The circular cut-out allows screw-driver access to the curtain brakes, best left alone. To the right is a small plate that pushes against the mirror tensioning lever. This lever slides over a latch before locking. It may have gotten out of synch or need a spot of lithium grease.

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 82

Posted on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, thanks guys. Tnis should keep me busy for a while. I do have one of the 101s partly apart, so I may just continue digging deeper into it. As a last resort, there's always Garry's Camera.... Thanks again!!!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration