Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus XA and A11 flash in red. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Olympus XA and A11 flash in red. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peterclarke
Tinkerer
Username: Peterclarke

Post Number: 34

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 05:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have lost the battery cover to my red A11 flash and don`t suppose I'll find another. One solution would be to paint the spare black cover I have to match the red of the camera/flash. It occurs to me that nail polish would be the best colour/material source. Does anyone know which polish would be the best match? Peter

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 134

Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 05:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suggest the following: Take it to a shop where they sell those things. They often have for every brand artificial fingernails painted in the various tones. They should give the exact colour of the dried polish. So take the flash with you to the shop and have a look.
With so many brands of that stuff all over the world, each having tons of colours and tones it is quite difficult to point out a specific product which I might find here on this side of the ocean. The more as I don't have a red XA.
So compare what suits best. No idea if the nail polish harms the plastic. Nail polish remover often contains aceton so be careful if you have to remove it because of a wrong tone.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 196

Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 06:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One thought: I don't know what plastic the XA uses. but since nail polish is a lacquer, you might want to try just a little dab on an insignificant part first. Some plastics are softened by lacquers.

Another alternative might be a hobby shop where they sell little bottles of paint for models and the like. I think the color ranges are pretty good.

Peterclarke
Tinkerer

Post Number: 37

Posted on Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 04:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you to both Mseigel and M_currie for replying and my apologies for taking so long to post this.
I wrote about nail polish because I read somewhere on the web that people hsd covered complete units in polish to fake red versions and I hoped one of them might have read my original post but sadly not. I wanted to avoid going into a shop and looking at the range of polishes if possible. Of course nail polish could be totally the wrong stuff to put on and I am grateful that this has been pointed out. The idea of going to a hobby shop is much more appealing, especially as I am an active aeromodeller, but despite living in the middle of London hobby shops are few and far between and the only one that I am sure would have paints is miles away and quite difficult for me to get to so the whole project is on hold for the present although I am going to test acetone, very useful for diluting balsa cement so I have some,on a black XA battery cover and see what reaction happens. Many thanks for the replies, Peter.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 147

Posted on Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter,
here in Austria plastic modells (Revell and the like) are often sold in toy shops as well not only in modell plane (etc) shops. They also have those paints. No idea how it is with you but maybe worth having a look when passing by.

Peterclarke
Tinkerer

Post Number: 40

Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 03:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. There's a toy shop quite near me and I went in and had a look at the paints but have decided to do nothing to the black piece and just hope to come across a red one in due course. Actually I may just offer it for sale 'as is'. Peter

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration