Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Screw ring on winder lever - Zenit 3M Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Screw ring on winder lever - Zenit 3M « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fabio
Tinkerer
Username: Fabio

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 12:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am trying to remove the top of a Zenit 3M.
I have to unscrew (lefthand) a ring on the winding lever but unfortunately it seems that it is really stuck. I had no possibility with rubber, nor with pliers (it was already quite marred, I had just worsened the thing...).
What I am afraid is that I can apply a lot of force (torque) and fear that I can damage something "inside": as the ring is so stiff I am applying all the torque to the shaft and every gears or what else is connected to it.

Any help to a beginner on how to get rid of such rings???

Many thanks to all!!!

Here is an image of an unscrewed ring (from: http://markhahnphotography.com/russian/3m_focus/3m_focus_adjustment.html )
an "unscrewed" ring

Fabio
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 01:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tried again: no results. I've tried plain torque, hammering; tried to heat the ring. No way. I can make the whole thing rotate and feel what are probably a couple of gears that "jump the theets" (sorry don't know how to explain in english... I hope you can imagine what I mean).

I could get to the take-up shaft from the bottom (image) but this doesn't help: blocking the shaft actually doesn't avoid the stress on the gears inside.
Here's what I found as the possible interiors (this is from a Zenit E, probably not much different from the 3M): actually the take-up axes rotates in the opposed direction.

take-up shaft
gears

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 137

Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fabio,

Just had a look at my 3M. I can confirm that the take spool runs in the opposite direction of the winding lever - meaning that sprocket wheels and takeup spool run in opposite directions and the film runs under the takeup spool when winding. Not uncommon at all.
It looks like the actual spool is missing on your picture - have you taken it off or was there only the shaft? If it is missing someone had the camera apart and maybe messed up the part you want to screw off.
I try to make a pic from mine and post it later.
Martin

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 138

Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here it is

Zenit 3M Detail

Fabio
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks Martin but...yes, sorry I should have mentioned that: I took the spool off to try to apply a reaction torque while uncrewing the infamous ring on wind lever. Unfortunately, as the spool shaft is not the "same piece" as the wind lever shaft, this was not of help: I can lock the spool shaft but applying torque to the ring I'm stressing the gears inside beyond their limits.
Fabio

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration