Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Asahiflex IIA shutter adjustment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Asahiflex IIA shutter adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aford
Tinkerer
Username: Aford

Post Number: 65

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, October 02, 2009 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This lovely Asahiflex (1955) that I have just aquired has not been used for about 20 years and the shutter is running slow. I have removed the bottom cover and I see 2 slotted screws these are positioned in the right place, but they are not curtain spring adjusters. The adjusters may be under the top cover but I can see no way to remove it. The wind-on knob does not have any grub screws to enable it to pull off, but the re-wind knob and the speed setting dial both have grub screws. I need to get the 1st curtain running faster can some one help please.

History - the Asahiflex IIA was known as the Tower 22 in the USA. In 1957 Asahi fitted an eyelevel pentaprism and called it the Asahi PENTAX.

Thanks for any help - Alf

Krg
Tinkerer
Username: Krg

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 08:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, the adjusters are under the top cover.
Just turn the wind-on knod counter counter-clockwise.

Michel

Vinzenz
Tinkerer
Username: Vinzenz

Post Number: 28

Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How is the condition of the shutter cloth? I just had to replace both shutter curtains because the rubber had become stiff, flaked off and slowed down the shutter.

Aford
Tinkerer
Username: Aford

Post Number: 66

Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks Michel - I did try to turn the wind-on knob earlier but it was so tight I thought I might damage something. Perhaps if I try to heat the knob up it will unscrew. Its nice to know that the curtain adjusters are under the top cover.

Vinzenz - the curtains are in very good condition and the material looks to be the same as my Pentax S1a. You are very brave to replace both shutter curtains, I have read the Leica service manual and would not attempt it, no way!

Once I have the shutter speeds working properly I have to look at the lens, somebody has assembled it incorrectly, but thats another story!

Thanks and regards - Alf

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration