Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Hi-matic E shutter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Hi-matic E shutter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vidgamer
Tinkerer
Username: Vidgamer

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 07:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I picked up a Hi-matic E for way too cheap at a local thrift store. Looks pristine, but when I put fresh batteries in it (zinc-air), it doesn't work right. Without batteries, this camera is known to not open the shutter at all. But with batteries, it acts like a "bulb" setting -- it stays open as long as I hold the shutter button. The self-timer works, and holds the shutter open for about a second.

Can anyone diagnose what is wrong? I'm thinking that the meter is broken, even though it seems to respond to batteries. It sounds like it could be a mechanical problem, but the meter window seems kind of odd to me.

I'd like to try to get it working, but wondering if it's even worth it. (Although, chances are the next one I buy could have its own problems, at least these things are cheap....)

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 201

Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Set the ASA dial to 800 (or the highest setting) and try again pointing at sunlight. If that doesn't work then it does have a problem. Usually these things need a shutter clean or a small capacitor.

Vidgamer
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Tom. I'll have to try again tomorrow.

I've been playing with it again, and something must have loosened up, as it's now closing the shutter! I can't tell if it's correct, though. It seems a bit inconsistent, but in low light, it probably isn't going to be. Still, I'm not yet convinced that it's working.... Sometimes the shutter jams completely, but there's no oil on the blades. Pointing at a light, the aperture opens up to different sizes -- very inconsistent from shot to shot.

Vidgamer
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After working it some, and it appearing to at least do something, the shutter doesn't work now (probably the same behavior as if there were no batteries). The shutter blades themselves look good, so the problem isn't oil on the blades. Something internally isn't "catching" and allowing the shutter to trip.

I started to open the top, but it doesn't come off easily, so I may put it aside for now. I can't find any info on repairing this model online.

I'm a bit discouraged now. I could send it off for repair, but my fear is that if the meter is broken, it can't be easily repaired.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration