Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Installing Schottky Diode in a Canon ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Installing Schottky Diode in a Canon F-1 -- details? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 23

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an old Canon F-1 -- the original model. It takes the now banned PX625 battery. Currently, I'm using a 675 zinc-air hearing aid battery to power the meter, but I would like to convert the camera to use silver-oxide batteries. There are a few ways to do this:

1) Adjust the ASA dial to re-zero the meter. This apparently has its drawbacks due to changing values in the dynamic range?

2) Buy a CHRIS MR-9 adapter. This works well, but at $32-something plus shipping each, I'm cheap enough to look for alternative solutions.

3) Buy a Schottky diode and install in inline in the meter circuit so that a silver oxide battery can be used.

I'm curious about #3. I've found a how-to on the Web for Minolta SRTs, but nothing for the Canon F-1.

Ever done this conversion/update? If so, would you care to explain the procedure?

Thanks,
Michael

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 54

Posted on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On my PX cameras I just use the PX625 battery commonly available which is an alkaline or silver oxide. Only shoot print film and it works out ok anyway.

http://24hourbatteries.com/shop/__a625pxcamera.html is a good place to buy.

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 154

Posted on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

doesn't really answer your question, but, I have a FTb, an F-1 (like yours) and a Gossen lunasix lightmeter and I use alkalines (LR 44) in all of 'em. the Canons, you can adjust the ASA, the lunasix needle zero can be adjusted. works fine with slide film. I check often, though...

Cooltouch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 24

Posted on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I plan to be putting a lot of slide film through this camera, so I want the meter as accurate as possible. With a fresh 675 battery, the F-1's meter agrees exactly with my Luna Pro F, which is a meter of known accuracy. I plan to check the voltage drawdown about once a week for starts, and compare the difference in readings between the F-1 and the Gossen as the voltage drops. Sure is a hassle though. Which is why I asked about adding the Schottky diode.

Jon_goodman
Tinkerer
Username: Jon_goodman

Post Number: 45

Posted on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For a number of reasons, I'm not a fan of the diode approach. I do like the zinc-air cell, though. If you need an adapter to turn the #675 into a clone of the PX-13, please send me an email.
Jon

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 166

Posted on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have to agree with Jon. The diode approach works pretty well on some cameras. Others, not so good. Canons I know nothing about how well diodes would work. The 675 zinc-airs seem to work well with everything I've tried them on. Most only need a slight ASA adjustment with slide film (I always match with a known-good hand meter before shooting).

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 684

Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 03:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only F-1 with a diode modification passed through my hands some time ago, being sent to me because the meter system had failed and the owner was stuck for a remedy - restoring the circuit to how Canon designed it got everything back to normal!

I prefer the adapter approach, using the MR-9 (I got a very good bulk discount here in UK) in cameras etc, with Gossen's own adapter in meters requiring same.

I would advise you to at least contact Jon Goodman and see what he has to offer, especially if you are contemplating 'surgery' on the F-1!

Cooltouch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 25

Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your perspectives, guys. For now, I'll be monitoring the voltage drop on the 675, and see how often it requires a meter adjustment. If it looks as if this will become a tedious process, then I will definitely be considering the best alternatives.

Mndean
Tinkerer

Post Number: 167

Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use the zinc-air (hearing aid) 675 battery. Its voltage drop characteristics are very similar to mercury, but has a much shorter life. The other difference is that it's 1.4v instead of 1.35v, which can cause some error in metering (the most I've ever gotten was a 1/2 stop error).

Cooltouch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 26

Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's what I'm using -- the 675. The battery's been in the camera almost a week now, and I checked it just a short while ago. I'd left the meter on since yesterday and was concerned I might have drawn it down, but nope -- 1.39v. And as I mentioned above, the F-1's meter agrees exactly with my Luna Pro F.

Mndean
Tinkerer

Post Number: 168

Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd say you're all set, then. When the zinc-air dies, it does so quickly, so you'll notice the metering getting very inaccurate (at least I have). I always keep extras with me just in case. They're small enough to put anywhere. I keep a couple taped to a film can lid in my pocket.

Verduzcor
Tinkerer
Username: Verduzcor

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I made the surgery approach, installed a schotky diode in line with the cell cable, under the left bottom plate can unsolder the cable and insert the diode, be careful to make properly polarity oriented, I use silver oxide cell with a rubber O-ring to center into cell chamber.
Tested with negative color film and a light meter as a back to compare readings, very good prints, I’m very happy with success, but plann a test with slides by holidays.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 46

Posted on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Verduzcor, thanks for the feedback on your installation. I've been using my F-1 for the past couple of months with the 675 and so far it's been good. Please let us know how your setup fares with slide film.

Lucas
Tinkerer
Username: Lucas

Post Number: 103

Posted on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 05:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use 675 hearing aid batteries in almost all my cameras. In a climate that is not very dry they last a long time. My gossen lunasix has been running on two for about 9 months now and the battery check still goes to the ok point.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration