Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss Ikon Telma: broken shutter? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Zeiss Ikon Telma: broken shutter? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vicjun
Tinkerer
Username: Vicjun

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently found my grandfather's old Zeiss Ikon Telma. Everything seems fine except the shutter mecanism. I don't really know how to explain this; maybe it's a common problem.

Anyway, I can't "lock" the shutter mecanism to be triggered when I press the button. I have to do it manually, seems some spring is broken. And even then, the shutter (which is a diaphragm shutter) doesn't really close properly. I can't draw the shutter trigger and lock it into place, it sorta just hangs there. If you want, I can post some videos to try and explain.

Also, I was going to open the camera to have a look inside and maybe clean the shutter, but I can't figure out how to do it. There aren't really any screws anywhere. Is it glued?

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 103

Posted on Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 07:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Its probably a Nettar with a Telma shutter. On the back, written along the edge near the door latch, should be a number like 515/16 or similar.
If you haven't worked on a leaf shutter of this vintage before, then I would hesitate to suggest that you undertake to repair this one. Pick up a junk folder for some practice first. If you want to give it a go, post back and we can give you a few hints.

Eleitz
Tinkerer
Username: Eleitz

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 08:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like a dirty, gummy shutter. If you can , remove the lens cells & try cleaning with lighter fluid. Hope this helps, Glen

Vicjun
Tinkerer
Username: Vicjun

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep, that's it, a Nettar with a Telma shutter. I know it might be hard to try and repair it, but since i's probably pretty expensive to get it repaired, I'd like to give it a go myself. Since it's already broken I doubt I could do a lot more damage. As Eleitz said, it's probably a dirty shutter that's the problem. I'd appreciate any help you can give me before I attempt this.

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 105

Posted on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 06:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are some good websites around that will help you, so rather then rewrite the manual I would you suggest that you start here http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php
and read through the shutter articles.

A few tips, remove the infinty stop to unscrew the front lens, take note at the point that it comes free from the shutter. Once you have the covers off, use a blank syringe to squirt some lighter fluid into the mechanism to flush clean it. If you take anything apart take plenty of digital photos. Use the right sized tools and don't force anything. Good luck.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration