Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FG, shutter button internals ja... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Nikon FG, shutter button internals jammed? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob_oz
Tinkerer
Username: Bob_oz

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I have a Nikon FG that has worked fine for about a year. I used a non-nikon needle style cable release for a night shot of a few hours and ever since the shutter button does not work properly. While I wasn't being rough I think the cable release was depressed too far

Shutter button springs back but has no "feel/resestance" aside from the underbutton spring and will not trip the shutter or the self timer. winding the film advance lever does advance the film but causes the shutter to "fire" on every stroke _however_ it doesn't actually open the curtain.
Rewind knob is fine, film advance lever seems fine, batteries are fine (viewfinder is active)

is this a common problem with the needle shutter releases?

Prasanna
Tinkerer
Username: Prasanna

Post Number: 15

Posted on Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi! I used an FG long ago. Recall that it had one mechanical speed, I think 1/90 sec., at which it fired without a battery. All other speeds required the battery. I would try at that speed and see if it sets itself right. I had a similar problem; but it was long ago. Worth trying that trick. Hope it helps. Regards, sp

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 142

Posted on Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 07:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No- it is not an endemic problem with cable releases.

The Nikon FG is one beautiful camera model. Don't do anything silly like trying to fix by oiling the shutter release.
That triggering off upon film advance winding indicates a spraining or bending beneath the actual shutter release button.
It is easy to remove the top plate on the FG and a close inspection should readily reveal the manfunction causative and the obvious corrective measure required.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration