Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FM: dirty viewfinder Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Nikon FM: dirty viewfinder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vicjun
Tinkerer
Username: Vicjun

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 03:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought a Nikon FM, and everything seems to work fine. Except for the fact that there's a lot of dust and dirt on the viewfinder (not the lens, I checked that). It's either the mirror or the viewfinder, but I have trouble telling. How can I clean it?

*edit*

Well I used a ball blower on the mirror, but the dust is still there. It's pretty sharp. Maybe it's on the screen?

Lgdavis
Tinkerer
Username: Lgdavis

Post Number: 22

Posted on Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a similar problem (see later post). Anyway remove the lens and you'll be able to clearly see the mirror and see if it's dirty. If it is your might follow the advice I got.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 35

Posted on Friday, October 23, 2009 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the dust is indeed inside your FM's viewfinder, unfortunately because it does not have a removable focusing screen, you're looking at having to do a fair amount of dismantling to clean it. Far as that goes, even if it did have a removable focusing screen, dust can be located in areas that are not accessible after the screen is removed. To give your FM's finder a thorough cleaning, you're looking at having to remove the camera's top cover and the pentaprism, and all the bits and pieces that have to be removed in the process. So unless you have some experience with digging rather deeply into the innards of SLRs, I recommend you turn it over to a repair person for a good CLA.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration