Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Scale of difficulty to CLA old RF cam... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Scale of difficulty to CLA old RF cameras « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Retrobabe
Tinkerer
Username: Retrobabe

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 03:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi, hope someone can provide me with some information or point me in the right direction.

I have a bunch of old RF cameras and I'd like to learn how to CLA them, some have stuck shutters. Does anyone know of a good DIY book with illustrations. If possible, I would actually even pay for personal guidance! By any chance, anyone here in Germany who may know of a workshop ?

Thanks in advance.

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 120

Posted on Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 04:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a number of books for newbies and also more advanced repair people, but I own none of them straight away. As a beginner I went another way, and that was buying junkers and courageously working on them. I guess I am no more talented than other people, but with the help of the nice people here in this forum I managed repairing the cameras I was then interested in. Now, after some time of heavy tinkering, I have a number of vintage RF and SLR cameras, all of them fine picture takers again, although some of them were said to be beyond repair. Not everything worked out fine from the start, of course not, setbacks are inevitable, but that is what life is like anyway.
But in order to get somewhere you must find out what you want, and as hardcore tinkering is not possible without the proper tools, materials etc., look here https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/repairtools.html and see for yourself if that is what you are after.
I know of no workshops and never attended one, instead I gathered info on the net and found helpful people here.
What cameras in particular do you want to repair/ fix/ get going?

Prasanna
Tinkerer
Username: Prasanna

Post Number: 7

Posted on Friday, October 23, 2009 - 04:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi, You may want to try Ed Romney's book. Check the website <www.edromney.com>. You will find the titles. There is one comprehensive volume that covers most camera systems. Regards, sp.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 219

Posted on Friday, October 23, 2009 - 05:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There may be some books on camera repair in your local public library.

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 123

Posted on Friday, October 23, 2009 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Prasanna, that link in your post is as dead as a dodo.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 703

Posted on Friday, October 23, 2009 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I try and go into edromney.com via google, Safari flags up dodgy site safety certification issues. Somebody playing silly buggers with the site?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1002

Posted on Friday, October 23, 2009 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the link. The site is OK, it has a certificate issue but it seems to be fine if you just ignore that and plow ahead.

https://www.edromney.com/index.html

Retrobabe, what cameras do you have, specifically? I have notes on a number of them, but of course they may not be the ones you have.

[email protected]

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 98

Posted on Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Retrobabe, have you found Dan Mitchell's website, "Collecting and Fixing Old Cameras?" There is a lot of stuff there on cleaning, lubing and adjusting various types of shutters, and that's more than half of the battle. http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration