Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax mx sync contacts Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Pentax mx sync contacts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jim_metcalfe
Tinkerer
Username: Jim_metcalfe

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My old MX seems to have dirty sync contacts. With an old, high-voltage flash like a Vivitar 283, it syncs about 80% of the time. With a newer flash with low trigger voltage, maybe 5%. Is there an easy way to get at the contacts? I've seen the exploded diagrams, but they're not much help.

Sardines
Tinkerer
Username: Sardines

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Give the PC tips on both the camera and flash cord a spray of contact cleaner (likr 5-56 electronic contacr cleaner).

If that doesn't work, get a hotshoe to PC adapter from Porters.com which will convert your hotshoe to accept the PC corded flash.

If none of that works, consider dirty flash contact points internally and wait for someone who knows to explain how to fix that.

Jim_metcalfe
Tinkerer
Username: Jim_metcalfe

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, October 23, 2009 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, I should have been more clear. I mean the internal contacts. The problem is the same with both the hot shoe and the pc connection.

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 51

Posted on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Service manual at:

http://www.robertstech.com/files/mx_sm.pdf

The contact is assembly O-J621. It is not under the bottom plate. I think it's behind the PC connectors. You at least have to peel the fake leather off the front and remove the lens mount. (Don't misplace the shims!) I don't remember if it's well accessible at that point, or if you have to pull the mirror box to get at it.

While the MX is really pretty nice for pulling the mirror box as SLRs go (two screws, and the annoying shutter speed indicator), that's a moderately severe teardown. You may have to recalibrate focus (mirror stop) afterwards. You'll also have to replace a lot of crumbling internal light seals for having opened the guts.

Note it may also be a cold solder joint instead of a bad contact. Making good solder joints with thin stranded wires to PC boards with no mechanical connection is tricky. Use 63/37 eutectic solder.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration