Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Help needed with disassembling a Sonn... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Help needed with disassembling a Sonnar 150mm for Hasselblad « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lensfan
Tinkerer
Username: Lensfan

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 03:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
Hope someone can help.

I have an old Chrome F4 Sonnar lens for a Hasselblad that I would like to dismantle and clean internally.

I don't have the money for a service and would like to tackle the job myself.

Could someone please point me towards instructions on disassembly?

Thanks from,
Lensfan.

Lensfan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The disassembly of the 80mm lens is described in Tomosy's book.

Is the 150mm similar?

My 150mm lens looks like it has been flooded. The aperture blades are rusty (although work) and there is silt on one element!
Lensfan

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 718

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately I cannot give you any details on the 150mm; however, as you have details on the 80mm why not see if you can carry out the same stripdown procedure? Given that you seem to be describing a piece of scrap in the optics present state, what have you to loose?

Lensfan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 02:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
Thanks for your encouragement Glenn. I now have the lens apart. It was easier than I had thought.

Do you have any tips for cleaning rusty shutter blades? I used a q-tip with lighter fluid and rubbed a lot of the light rust off. I am thinking about turning the remaining rust to iron-phosphate by using phosphoric acid on a q-tip. Has anyone else tried this?
Cheers.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 719

Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I always have a winchester of Phosphoric Acid sitting under the workshop sink, works wonders on really rusted mechanisms. The fact that the cleaned blades will have a dull grey phosphate coating in the refurbished lens, instead of the original blue/black, will not be noticed by most people.

I have actually 'cleaned up' a couple of old shutters by dunking the complete assemblies in the acid, used an ultrasonic bath to the water rinse and then dewatered in ethanol - again using the ultrasonic bath. Even though the old shutters were fitted to cameras that were for display only, after a light lube they both functioned. A vast improvement on the original (rusted solid) as found state.

Lensfan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 02:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greatly appreciated advice Glenn. I'll try phosphoric acid on the more stubborn rust.

Hrndnvalery
Tinkerer
Username: Hrndnvalery

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Lensfan
How did you disassemble Sonnar 150 lens? I have oil on shutter blades of Sonnar 150 for Rollei 6000 and I am thinking to clean it myself, however I need to have initial directions. Should it be started from front or rear?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration