Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35RD Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Olympus 35RD « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 142

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I may be buying an Olympus 35RD, but there is a problem. One spot of fungus between the elements. No easy way to remove the elements as far as I can see. UV? I have a dentist who might be willing to help, but I can't keep him tied up for..., how long? Anyone with a rough estimate as to how long the treatment might last?

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 19

Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I assume the fungus is between the lenses of the front cell.

The articles section has a description about the 35RD. Be careful, the front cell sits really tight.

The front cell can be separated when you unscrew the ring the holds the out er lens. You will a rubber cloth a some force to do this.

UV might stop fungus growth, but it won't remove what's already there.

Elwrongo
Tinkerer
Username: Elwrongo

Post Number: 38

Posted on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 05:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have the opportunity to tie up a dentist I say do it - for as long as possible and and under any pretence. While you've got him there why not check his fillings with a nice cold metal probe.........

On the RD I've heard said you can remove fungus sometimes with cold cream. Never tried it myself as i couldn't find any cold cream anywhere.

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 125

Posted on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 08:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forget about all this mumbo-jumbo, UV light definitely won't stop fungus.
I have tried out almost everything including that most infamous Pond's Cold Cream, and practically nothing happened except that the lens was full of nasty gease. Eucalyptus oil didn't help either, although I liked the smell of it.
Others may tell you now about how to apply voodoo magic, their last resort, and how it perhaps is going to do the trick, a waste of time from my perspective.
Only one thing is for sure, and that is strong ordinary household vinegar which sometimes is of some help, if it reaches the fungus colony eearly enough before the glass was etched by its metabolic debris, but even then only if applied to the glass surface. Dinking it has no effect on getting rid of lens fungus.
The archives will tell you the whole sad but perfectly entertaining story of the brave fungus removal crusaders' projects.

Harryrag
Tinkerer

Post Number: 126

Posted on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

r r : fill in those letters where missing
(I hate that bloody keybord)

Barnum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 143

Posted on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps I will shoot the b-thing to put it out of my misery!

Barnum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 147

Posted on Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 04:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK. Luck decreed that I pick up a 35RD at a boot sale this weekend. Lovely condition, apart from sticky shutter blades. Anyone with the experience of finding the best way into these cameras?

Harryrag
Tinkerer

Post Number: 131

Posted on Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 06:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, look here, this was of great help when I had the same problem with my bunch of RDs. https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/oly35rdcleaning.html. That is all one needs to know, good luck when putting theory into practice, as one step is not easy, and that is reinstalling the aperture/shutter housing.

Barnum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 148

Posted on Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 35RD problem got me to thinking. Is the forum, despite its advantages, also something of a double-edged sword? Before joining, I would dig into a camera, and work things out for myself. Ok, I had some failures, that now reside in pieces within my spares box. In the main however, I had more successes than failures. Now when I face a problem, I almost automatically go to the forum first. Why? It almost seems as if the forum itself has created in me a crisis of confidence! Has anyone else experienced this odd phenomenon? As for the RD. Fungus is gone, it is part reassembled, but a ball bearing has gone walk-about.That's another thing. Where do these damn bits go, even when one has been so careful about keeping them safe?
Am I paranoid, or is the entire world really against me? Answers on a postcard please.

Harryrag
Tinkerer

Post Number: 132

Posted on Monday, November 02, 2009 - 08:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's my postcard: I can fully understand what you mean, as I have also felt a deep crack in my confidence when starting with someting I do not know what to expect after the second bend, like your losing that tiny steel ball. On the other hand, however, what about left-handed threads or other pitfalls? I am always glad when somebody else puts out a warning that reminds me of being a bit more careful instead of being so damn self-assured.

Barnum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 149

Posted on Monday, November 02, 2009 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, that is the helpful side of the sword! As for the bb. I had checked the carpet, finding nothing. Meant to go over it with a magnet, but forgot to inform the other half not to vacuum it while I was out. Spent part of today going through the bag, including a ton of dog hair. It was more in hope than expectation, but suddenly there it was! Does someone upstairs love me after all? I like to think so.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 148

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 02:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doesn't that one test the one he loves? Going through the vacuum cleaners bag was probably that test ;-)
Kind of needle in a haystack experience.

But apart that me I'm the kind of person who tries to know things first with cameras so for me the sword is only one sided.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 220

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 04:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My crisis of confidence happened when I realized I had three cameras in pieces and was abou to start on a fourth one.

Elwrongo
Tinkerer
Username: Elwrongo

Post Number: 43

Posted on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 07:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes but don't it feel good when you win and get one working - got a totally jammed Olympus ED back from the dead this evening. Good fun.

Barnum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 150

Posted on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 35RD in question is back in one piece,& fungus-less, to the charity shop I have a mutual back-scratching arrangement with. Did'nt buy it, since one came along that weekend at a boot sale. For different reasons I now have another one to strip. Let us now bow our heads for the Corfield Interplan that recently died on the operating table.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration