Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak Eastman No 3 Brownie, shutter r... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Kodak Eastman No 3 Brownie, shutter repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Psolio
Tinkerer
Username: Psolio

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Kodak Eastman No 3 Brownie, Model B box camera (last patent 1916). It appears the shutter mechanism doesn't work correctly. The is a spring on the lever connected to the rotary disc. It is very dry, but I doubt oil will help? Any advice?

Shutter1

Shutter2

Puderse
Tinkerer
Username: Puderse

Post Number: 37

Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seperate the two discs and clean the rust from the mating surfaces and the center post with 0000 steel wool. A very tiny amount of oil might help at the center but not enough to creep onto the two discs. I think the center is just a nail or brad.

Psolio
Tinkerer
Username: Psolio

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That was it, thanks!

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 262

Posted on Friday, October 30, 2009 - 02:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Psolio,

How did you remove the centre without bending the discs? I've got a bunch of these, plus several other manufacturers (if you want to see a Rolls-Royce model, get an All-Distance Ensign!), and it would be good to see how they come apart for DIY's sake.

If you go over to Flickr and find the Box Camera Revolution group there's a bunch of links to repair sites and old manuals hiding in the discussion (I posted several of them I'd found) - if I can find it again I'll add this to it.

Puderse
Tinkerer
Username: Puderse

Post Number: 40

Posted on Friday, October 30, 2009 - 07:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have culled my collection of box cameras to just a few but have kept the all black, leather covered ones like the 00, 0, several that use 120, and some really honkin big ones.

Like to keep the 120's working and have parts cameras and restored several.

If the finders are dim and cleaning doesn't help, try cutting a new mirror from the mirror of a garage sale Polaroid.

Good to know about the Flikr site.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration