Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Electro 35 GSN Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Yashica Electro 35 GSN « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike_rgb
Tinkerer
Username: Mike_rgb

Post Number: 48

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 02, 2009 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all.

I found this beauty at Goodwill with a sunpak
Flash all in a little blue Digi bag for $20.00
The cover & Camera look as if they are new
save for the notes inside the cover telling
that it took a Malory PX32. Found 3 in the
the UK none left same with the Battery adapter.

Any one know of a USA source for the adapters?
I know you can use this camera without a Batt
however the result is like the early throw
aways. With a Battery the results are great.

For a while Goodwill was trying to do the e-bay
well that did not pan out. I started writing
them asking how can you lose making 10/15/20
dollars on a freebe to you. Perhaps someone
put on their thinking cap.

Thanks for the help guys.
Mike.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 202

Posted on Monday, November 02, 2009 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm always amazed to hear of all the cameras people find in Goodwill or other thrift shops.

At our Goodwill, Salvation Army, thrift shops and even church rummage sales all the cameras that look even halfway like a decent camera are stolen before the public ever gets to see them.

The only thing left behind are the plastic point and shoot "under $10. when new" type cameras.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 169

Posted on Monday, November 02, 2009 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't find 1/4 the cameras I used to in the 1990s (there was a great time, I even found a lot of 16mm equipment for next to nothing), but I still come across an occasional worthy piece. A few months back I found a nice OM-1 for $20, but didn't get it since I couldn't verify that the meter worked.

Jon_goodman
Tinkerer
Username: Jon_goodman

Post Number: 47

Posted on Monday, November 02, 2009 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yashica Guy has adapters. Also, with this model you can use either 4 of the 640A Alkaline (1.5v) or that long 6v cell that is the same size as the old PX32. Good luck.
Jon

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 54

Posted on Monday, November 02, 2009 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

search this site a bit, and you can find a lot of tips on making an adapter (with paper, tape, foil, etc.), so that you can use LR44 and other batteries that are sold at at drugstores, etc.

A stack of four LR44 batteries works fine with my GSN.

Mike_rgb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 49

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jon & Scott

Sounds like this is as nice a Range finder as my
Fugica 701, & with the Zeiss Ikon Contessa 35
I may just leave some of my Nikon SLRs home
now and again LOL. That vest gets heavy with
all that Nikon stuff.

Thanks Guys.
Mike

Daniirwan
Tinkerer
Username: Daniirwan

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use 4 LR44 batteries in my Electro 35GT...you have to make a tube (out of thin plastic or cardboard) to reduce the diameter of the battery chamber so that the LR44 batteries will just fit. The tube must not block the ends of the batteries, as that's where contact is made. I also have access to a homemade DIY battery adapter for the electro series, allows you to use 4 LR44 batteries as well, and it comes with a metal part at the end that allows the batteries to make better contact with the required height. But it's less cumbersome than making the tube. Price when I got it is around USD$20. Drop me an email at [email protected] if you're interested. Failing that, there's also the Yashica Guy battery adapters..good, from what I heard.

Mike_rgb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 50

Posted on Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 06:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I first started reading about the Electro 35
I was cautioned about the need to use 5.6 volts.
Of course I knew if this were true I would need
a voltage regulator or make other corrections.
Has anyone just used an inexpensieve 0" to 1"
micrometer to hold the 4 LR44s inside some heat
shrink tubing add heat & instant adapter?
Also at 6 volts do you get acurate metering I
will have to recheck but I thought the power was
for the appature not the light meter. Unlike
the Zeiss Ikon Contessa the pics are great if
I make the correct settings. However the photos
that were shot without battery were very bad in
the Yashica.
Jon said: Yashica Guy has adapters. Also, with this model you can use either 4 of the 640A Alkaline (1.5v) or that long 6v cell. Jon this
is what has me confused if I read you right this
Yashica Electro 35 ( GSN ) has a voltage
regulator. So a 6 volt battery & propper setting
will result in good pictures.
If this is the case saving $29.00 is another
Camera or lens.

Thanks,
Mike

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 73

Posted on Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 08:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use a 28L lithium 6V battery in all 3 of my Electro 35's. Works just fine, even with slide film.

Mike_rgb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 51

Posted on Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Donnie
This Photog has PX32A 6V in magic marker by the
battery cover. I will try to find one or make
a stack of LR44s in shrink tube. The flash uses
recharble double As it's a sunpak auto 121.

I want to thank you all for your great help.
Mike
PS: The e-bay thing did not work so start checking the Thrift shops again this Winter looks
good.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 221

Posted on Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 06:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Radio Shack has a small 6 volt battery that can be used with some crumpled aluminum foil to take up space until you decide if the camera is worth buying the Yashica Guy adapter. The Yashica circuitry was always tolerant of voltage variations, you don't need to knock yourelf out looking for mercury battery substitutions.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 222

Posted on Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 06:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lots of Film cameras listed here - http://www.shopgoodwill.com/listings/listByCat.asp?catID=170

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 86

Posted on Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use our imagination and come up with your own adapter. I've made several different ones from scrap pieces and they all worked fine. For instance, a bolt with a nut attached cut to the correct length works fine. I presently make my adapters from rivets and rubber washers for spacers. I'll try and send an attachment with my homemade ones.

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 54

Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forget adapters and read this.

http://www.monopix.co.uk/gtbattery.shtml

Mike_rgb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 52

Posted on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monopix
I read the battery study & called one of the
we have every battery chains. What I expected
we don't have any A32PX batterys.
He asked for my name & PH#. I hour later he
called back & said the owner had run into this
request & reccomended the DANTR164A. Well thats
only $15.95 I am wondering how 1 Camera can
take all these batterys & still make their
owners happy. I paid $20.00 for the Camera &
flash & don't know if it even works.

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 56

Posted on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 07:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike_rgb

Not sure what you're saying but if you are looking for a source of the A32PX in the US try here...

http://www.lowcostbatteries.com/product_p/a32px.htm

The reason the camera can take different batteries and still work (more or less) is down to it's design.

Mike_rgb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 53

Posted on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 04:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PX32A writen in majic marker by the previous owner right by the battery cover. Batteries
we have them all did say they had the PX32A
in stock. I beleive Monday will a good day to
pick up a PX32 put in some 400 Fuji Superia film.

Time to see if it works now.
Thanks all Mike

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration