Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Auto Winder G Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Minolta Auto Winder G « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ronnies
Tinkerer
Username: Ronnies

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I've just received a Minolta Auto winder G for use on an XG-1 (first model but with newer logo) camera. The winder seems to be triggered fine when I fire the shutter but it doesn't seem to manage to wind on completely. The red light on the winder stays on and I have to finish the wind with the normal lever on the camera. Now when I do use the lever, it feels like the wind is complete but the mechanism just hasn't managed to release as I can feel a very little resistance just at the end of the stroke. Otherwise the wind on lever is loose.

The winder sounds to me like it's working fine but just not compeleting the stroke by a hair.

Is this likely to be something that can be adjusted in either the winder or the camera?

Thanks

Ronnie

Ronnies
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should add that winding the camera using a coin in the baseplate motor connection seems to work fine so I suspect the motor isn't turning enough? There are fresh batteries in the winder.

Ronnie

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 170

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's similar but different to an XG-9 I got for nothing. I tried to use a G winder on it and it would turn just slightly after shutter firing and no more. In my case, it was certainly the camera, since I tried the winder on my X-700 and it worked just fine and the wind lever was stiff on the XG. I'm pretty sure that camera's winding was difficult enough to require more torque than the G winder could give. I didn't expend any more effort on the camera since I had plenty of others in better shape.

Can't say about your case, though, yours seems enough different to make me think it really could be the winder.

Ronnies
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 01:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your reply!

The wind on lever on my XG-1 feels very smooth so I don't think the camera is sticking.

Ronnie

Ronnies
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Update:

I took the camera and winder into a local camera shop today (I was buying a Tamron mount for it) and they very kindly tried the winder on another body. The winder worked fine on the other body so the problem seems to be in my XG-1 winder connection.

Ronnie

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 172

Posted on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hm, seems more to be a camera problem, or the connection from the winder to camera slipping. I don't know if you have any great sentimental attachment to that XG-1, but you should be able to find another one pretty cheap. The only one of the XG range that has any respect is the XG-M, so other models should be pretty inexpensive. I even see X-700s go for small money (got mine for $20).

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration