Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FTbn Dead Meter and Grungy Focu... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Canon FTbn Dead Meter and Grungy Focusing Screen « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 37

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently acquired a Canon FTbn in good overall condition except the meter does not respond. I replaced the long-dead 625 battery with a Wein cell, and the meter needle responds normally now when the switch is set to the "C" (for check) position. But the needle does not deflect at all when the switch is set to "on" and the camera is pointed at an adequate light source.

It's been quite a few years since I've had the covers off an FTb, and I'd just as soon not be flying blind anyway. So, is there any component/area that I should look to first as a most likely culprit? And perhaps more importantly, should I actually need a part, is there a source for meter parts for these old Canons anymore these days?

Okay, about the focusing screen -- the foam mirror bumper has rotted away, leaving behind a sticky residue, and somebody must have wiped a portion of this stuff across the focusing screen, probably when trying to remove rotting pieces. What would be the best way to clean the screen without having to remove it (which requires dismantling the top end of the camera)? I'm thinking alcohol and a very tiny brush sold by International Violin, which is used by violin makers as a finish touch-up tool. I have a stash of these. But perhaps another solvent might work better? Naphtha? Acetone? ???

Thanks,
Michael

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 156

Posted on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 03:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is lots in the archive wrt removing the top cover. If the meter responds at the C position it is probably OK. I suspect the camera has been worked on and the metering rack has not been properly reset, also the pots maybe out of adjustment. It is not unusual for the metering, even for an FTb in original condition, to be out by 2 stops. The CdS cell age or the neutral density filter in front of the cell gets dirty.

DON'T let acetone get anywhere near the screen! Lighter fluid is OK. There are a variety of opinions regarding how to clean a screen. I have found 100% methyl alcohol effective. Wet the end of a cotton tip and and just touch the screen with it, no direct pressure or rubbing. The residue almost dissolves in the alcohol.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 38

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the response, Gez. I'll go to the archives and have a look-see.

If the camera has been worked on by a competent repair tech, it hasn't been within the past decade or so, I would wager. The entire camera could use a thorough cleaning.

Glad to hear about the "C" responding being good news. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the FTb -- it was my first "real" camera (I "graduated" from an A-1 to an FTb, at which time I began learning about photography), and I'd like to get this one back up to par.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, especially after reading your comment, I realize now that I should probably have mentioned one other thing I noticed. The meter needle does move when I adjust the shutter speeds. But only when I get all the way down to 1/2-second and slower. It doesn't respond to light, it just moves a give amount for 1/2 second, 1 second, and B. So, I was presuming that this was a function of some sort of coupling mechanism -- perhaps the rack you mentioned?

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 156

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it might be dirty contacts under the switch plate thingy. mine is a bit iffy too. just take the cover off and mess with 'em a bit, see if that works...

the needle is supposed to move at a certain point. if you set the shutter speed to, say, 8 and mess with the ASA, the needle might move or might not move. that comes from the rack and pinion... it's mechanical compensation for the out-of-range areas of the meter.

by the way- set the shutter speed dial to 1/1000 and ASA 8 or 6 or 25 or whatever the lowest is. the black marker marks where the shutter speed dial peg goes. don't mess with the rack and pinion stuff if you don't have to...

and the FTb was my first real camera too. also my first successful CLA. pretty easy camera to work on too...

good luck!

Cooltouch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 47

Posted on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just thought I'd resurrect this thread to let you folks know that I figured out how to get the meter on this old FTb to work. I have to sort of push on the meter on/of/battery check switch a certain way and it comes on. So this has me thinking that there's probably just some oxidized contacts or the like under the top cover.

Comparing the meter to that on my F-1, which is dead nuts accurate, it's overexposing between 1/2 and 1 stop. Certainly within an acceptable amount for most print films, but I shoot slides. So I'll be looking at a way to tweak the meter to bring it back into spec.

Even though I can probably figure out how to do the meter switch repair without a manual, I'm not sure at all how to adjust the meter to get it to read accurately. So I'd like to find a repair guide. I've searched the web high and low for a .pdf for the FTb (mine's an "n"), and have run across a few places that sell the pdf or the manuals in print form, but no free links. I don't mind buying a repair guide, but I've been burned before buying supposedly comprehensive and complete repair guides for my cars that were just about worthless, and I'd just as soon avoid this with my FTb. So if there are any places out there you can recommend I'd appreciate it. And I'd also prefer to find a guid that's more than just a parts list with a bunch of exploded diagrams too.

Michael

Gez
Tinkerer

Post Number: 162

Posted on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 02:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A good place for reasonably priced factory manuals is www.lensinc.net. The one for the FTb has some good 'how to' sections, particularly on resetting the meter. You may also wish to buy the FD lens guide. It doesn't give detailed disassembly instructions, but lists the aperture diameters at various F stops. This info is essential for correct adjustment of the iris assembly after cleaning.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 48

Posted on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Gez, I'll give lensinc a visit. Is this FD lens guide different from the FD lens guide that Canon used to include with all the FD lenses it sold? If not, I have a few different copies of it.

Gez
Tinkerer

Post Number: 163

Posted on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The FD lens guide is a typed document intended for use in their service centres. It appears to be from Canon's glory days of the mid 70's. Certainly worth having if you intend major surgery on the old FD breechlocks.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration