Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Film not wound tightly onto take up s... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Film not wound tightly onto take up spool on Zeiss Ikon Nettar 517/16 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Daniirwan
Tinkerer
Username: Daniirwan

Post Number: 12

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone. I'm currently having some film loading, or rather, unloading troubles with my Nettar 517/16, and I'd like to see if anyone has experience this before with this particular model of the Nettar or any other cameras using 120 rollfilm...and if you have, what do you think is the problem and how to solve it.

See, I've run 2 rolls of film thru my Nettar, 1 roll of Reala and just today, 1 roll of Velvia..my 1st ever slide film. Now, the Reala I shot about 3 weeks ago..and it was spoiled because when I wound the advance knob, it got progressively tighter and more difficult to turn starting from frame no. 6 onwards. Near the end, frame no 11, it got so tight it stripped some of the skin on my thumb! In the end, I gave up trying and just opened the camera's back. What I saw was that the film was jammed..somehow, it was wound on very loosely onto the film spool that it took up almost all the space in the take up side, causing it to be impossible to be advanced anymore. I ended up ripping that roll of Reala out and needless to say, it had light leaks all over and only frame no.1 was barely usable. I was frustrated to say the least. Back then, I thought this was caused by me using an older all-metal 120 film spool as the take up spool..I thought it had a different size/slot size or something, but today I found out I was wrong.

Today, I went for a photo outing. I loaded a roll of Velvia into the Nettar. For the take up spool, I used a plastic modern 120 spool taken from another camera of mine. As I progressed through the film, advancing the film was easy and no difficulties whatsoever. But then, when the roll was finished and I had advanced the film all the way, I opened the back to see that the film was still..how to
say..'bulging' out of the film spool, i.e. it seems like it was not wound on tightly to the film spool. I was still able to take out the film normally and I immediately put on some tight rubberbands at both ends of the film, but I think I'll have lightleaks in this one too :-( I have no idea what's causing this. Seeing this webpage, http://www.thecamerasite.net/03_Folder_Cameras/Pages/zeisnettar.htm, it says the 517/16 Nettar was meant to be used with a 'B 2 spool'..I haven't the foggiest idea what that is either. It's weird because with my Voigtlander Perkeo I and Yashica A TLR, I always end up with an exposed film that's wound VERY tightly and closely to the spool.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks so much.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1006

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

this sounds very strange. inside the left hand film chamber (the supply side), there should be a flat spring that presses on the film in the middle of the roll. this, plus the springs behind the pressure plate, should apply a bit of drag on the film to keep it taut as it winds across.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration