Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Can this Canon QL17 G-III be saved? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Can this Canon QL17 G-III be saved? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
A fellow co-worker gave me this to try to save:
Canon Canonet QL17 G-III
http://images33.fotki.com/v1142/fileXlIB/0f766/4/1233394/7430481/IMGP0886b.jpg

The front element needs to be removed to see if it can be cleaned and save.
BUT: The outside ring has a dent, so the retaining ring will not come off and it seems somebody destroyed the front element ring trying to take it apart.
Is there any hope to this poor camera? Everything else seems to be OK.

Thanks,
Ismael

Turnergande
Tinkerer
Username: Turnergande

Post Number: 51

Posted on Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 09:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a similar problem with a G-III. The retainer was absolutely jammed. I managed to split the soft aluminum retainer and remove it. Then I substituted a retainer from a similar sized lens filter (one of no value as it had a cracked glass). The split spring steel retainer from the filter snapped securely right into place and in my opinion Canon should have used a similar (more reliable & user friendly) method to begin with.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1014

Posted on Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might be able to straighten the dent and then unscrew the ring. There are filter-ring vises made for this purpose, but I think the od fashioned method of a wooden anvil cut to the radius of the ring probably works better.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 11

Posted on Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you need parts, let me know.

I have one here that is beautiful but the front got bumped and it is a bit askew to one side. Works great though. I'm too lazy to try fixing it right now.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration