Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Vivitar 75-205mm "AF" zoom lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Vivitar 75-205mm "AF" zoom lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sardines
Tinkerer
Username: Sardines

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there any tips or anything I should know before trying to fix a Vivitar 75-205mm zoom lens?

This lens is the autofocus one that had the AF mechanism built into itself and was made to fit manual focus slr cameras. Rememmber those?

It doesn't autofocus. Checked all the usual stuff like battery contacts and new batteries but nothing.

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 65

Posted on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, yes. Those were called S.C.A.F. for Self Contained Auto Focus or something like that. A regular zoom lens but with an autofocus mechanism built into a "hump" on the side of the lens.

I recall the advertisement for them. They were intended for people who wanted to try AF but only had a non-AF camera. Vivitar made two of these if I recall correctly. A 28-70mm and the 75-205mm.

Believe it or not I have a "generic" version of the lens made by Starblitz and it works but the cheap plastic gears "slip" so it doesn't do anything. Truly, I don't see how this Starblitz could have worked even when it was new the mechanism is so crappy.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1015

Posted on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

75-200 actually. I have both of them, they are both good lenses. As far as the AF systems go, they worked well for a respectable amount of time, but I don't think they do any more. I do have some disassembly notes on both of them, which I'm happy to share, but I don't think I can claim to have actually fixed either one. But I'm not an electronics type person.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration