Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

What is this screw? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » What is this screw? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Notsobrite
Tinkerer
Username: Notsobrite

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi-

can anyone tell me the name of the screw that goes into the camera's tripod mount? it's the one that screws in and then the head folds over. i truly appreciate any help!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1017

Posted on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suppose it would be called a tripod screw. Not sure what you mean by 'the head folds over'. The standard thread for these is 1/4-20; some European cameras have a 3/8-16 instead. Both are standard American screw threads.

Ron_g
Tinkerer
Username: Ron_g

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He might mean a thumbscrew,some of them do fold flat if you wish.Ron G

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 722

Posted on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 04:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As Ron states the screw in question is a type of thumbscrew; however, the actual descriptive name use by manufacturers varies greatly. The folding thumbscrew is very common on Manfrotto tripod heads with interchangeable/quick release plates, in this instance it is simply called a retaining screw. Where you come across them on ER cases, most makers refer to them as case screws.

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 138

Posted on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 05:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

maybe like so many other names this one is allegoric: multi-purpose-tripod-sometimes-fold-down-quickmount-screw-in-case-or-camera-bott om-screw

Notsobrite
Tinkerer
Username: Notsobrite

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you for all your help :-) i've been looking at hardware suppliers webpages for days now trying to find one of these screws with no joy.

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 139

Posted on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would try a photoshop, sometimes they have a bits and pieces box containing many surprise items, especially if they have been in the business for ages. Anyway, you will have to describe what you need, as salespersons are often quite ignorant about anything that does not resemble a digicam, so knowing the proper name is probably of no use.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 723

Posted on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 03:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rocky,

If you get really stuck with finding a replacement, PM me with the exact details of what you want this screw to retain on the camera - giving max and min length of the screw threaded portion that will function. I have a number of Manfrotto thumbscrews which are spare to my requirements (all their plates come with both 1/4" and 3/8" retaining screws as standard) but as my heavier equipment uses the 3/8" Whit boss, I can spare the odd 1/4" screw if it will actually fit and do the job. You should note that these screws are just functional steel items, they do not look decorative as they are normally hidden away in the plate.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 201

Posted on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suggest you go to this link at the B&H Photo site, and see if what you are looking for is shown and described there (note that it's the first of four pages). If I'm guessing right, you'll find more or less what you want on the second of the four pages here, a tripod screw with a folding bale made by Induro.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Bushings-Screw-Collars-etc-/ci/400/N/428993603 6

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration