Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus OM-1 with jammed shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Olympus OM-1 with jammed shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lgdavis
Tinkerer
Username: Lgdavis

Post Number: 24

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have searched the site with no luck on this. I have a nice OM-1 but its shutter/advance is jammed. The advance lever is free to about 45 degrees then stops. The release button appears to be in the down position and with no play. The mirror is down and will move up all right with the mirror lockup switch. Changing the rewind switch to R has no affect although the film sproket does release as it should. No debris in the film area. I have removed the bottom and don't see anything obviously wrong - I can see the gears move a little bit then stop when attempting to cock the shutter. Any ideas on how to procede? This camera is new to me, so I don't know if it was forced or not. The inside is not overly dirty to suggest dirt-jammed gears. I have not tried to remove the top, yet. Thanks, Larry

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1019

Posted on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Larry:

I don't know if this will be on target or not. In the wind gear train under the bottom plate, there is a sort of gear, maybe 20mm in diameter, with a screw in the center. As I recall, that's a left-hand-thread screw. This gear is partial, it has to rotate through a certain distance and then it reaches a gap and is returned to its starting position by a hair spring. If the screw comes loose and the gear comes out of mesh, it will get out of synch and the wind system will jam. If you find this is the case, you need to remove that screw, lift the gear out and turn it to wind up the spring, and set it back into its proper position again. I've seen this happen two, maybe three times in OM cameras.

The shutter release button being in the depressed position, though, doesn't register with me. That may be an indication that you have a different problem that's outside of my experience.

Lgdavis
Tinkerer
Username: Lgdavis

Post Number: 25

Posted on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 07:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick,

Thanks (again) for your good advice. I looked at the gear train carefully with a 10x loupe and also tried the screw you suggest. It's tight. But in looking at all of the gear train I found a piece of metal (about 1mm x 3mm)between two gears at the bottom. Removing that freed up the system!! The camera seems to work fine now. The piece of metal apparently came from a missing clip on the underside of the motor drive interface cover. My challange now is to find the other missing clip, so this doesn't happen again. When I bought the camera the MD cover was taped in place.

Thanks,
Larry

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1020

Posted on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

glad you found it! little bits of metal can do bad things in gears.....

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration