Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

AE-1 Program: opening it for the firs... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » AE-1 Program: opening it for the first time « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I am posting here for advise regarding opening an AE-1 Program I recently acquired to do the following:

1) Fix the 1/1000 shutter speed. Rest of the speeds are within 15% error.

2) Possibly lube the mirror fly wheel to fix the infamous canon squeak or squeal or whirring noise (video demo of the noise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuMaO7FfpVg)

For some background to disassemble the camera, I have searched this forum* and I seem to have the hang of the over all method. I have also gone over the service manual I found online. So I am more or less prepared to actually start the project.

However, I have not been able to visualize clearly how to use a set of circlip pliers or something in its place to do the initial steps (for the shutter release button perhaps?).

Could some kind soul explain the usage of circlip pliers (btw, I was not able to find one in my local hardware store, can I use something else in its place?) and where to use it exactly?

Thanks and regards.

* Searching this forum from its own search feature does not really help much. Searching this forum from google, using the 'site' work, works much better.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 160

Posted on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most hardware and electronic supply stores do sell circlip pliers. Go for the ones with a variety of removable heads and that have provision for 'external' & 'internal' opening. They are generally very reasonably priced which is just as well as you will have to grind down the tips to fit the small circlips.
The AE-1P has only 2 circlips, one under the wind arm and one under the rewind knob. Although there isn't a coupling cord to worry about, some models have 3 flash wires that require unsoldering.
PS remove the front facia to reach 2 front screws holding the top cover.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 07:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Gez.

I was able to remove the circlips with the help of two screw driver (tiny minus size) very very carefully but relatively easily. I was able to put them back on using a wooden pencil.

Fixed the shutter squeak as well as the shutter speeds.

Regards.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration