Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax MV flash sync doesn't work Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Pentax MV flash sync doesn't work « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 45

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was given a pretty clean old Pentax MV and everything on it seems to work properly except for the flash sync. I've tried it with two different flashes, and nothing. The hot shoe's flash contacts are clean and shiny.

The MV is a very basic compact SLR with aperture priority, mechanical x-sync at 1/100, and B only as the selections on the dial. No PC connector for off-the-camera flash, just the hot shoe. It's a cute little camera and, while I'm not going to lose any sleep over the flash sync being inoperative, it would be nice to get it working.

I've never had one of these apart before. I did repair an ME years ago, which is a somewhat more upscale version of this same camera, and it wasn't particularly difficult to work on. I no longer recall what the ME's problem was, though.

Anyway, apart from the obvious -- looking for cold solder joints or crimped wires, that sort of thing -- I was wondering if there might be something about this class of Pentax SLR in which this issue is common and perhaps not so apparent. That is, when I open it up, and if I find that the wiring to the hot shoe is intact and any solder joints look good, where would be the next place to look?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration