Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta x370 wont fire Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Minolta x370 wont fire « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peterdemski
Tinkerer
Username: Peterdemski

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My G/F's having issues with her Minolta x370. It was originally put in a box because it wasnt winding right. upon taking it out of said box(probably a year or two later) to take a look at it the camera fired and the mirror stuck at the top. After fiddling with it I noticed that one of the curtains sticks out just a little bit after you let go of the winder. If I push it to the left a little where it goes into the left side of the case I get two clicks and the winder will grab again. It was at this point the mirror came back down to it's starting position. If I don't the winder will grab at the end of rotation and pull the shades to the right about 1". I can bypass the pushing the curtains thing by qiuckly releasing the winder but the problem I have now is that the camera wont fire. I had already replaced the batteries with brand new ones so I know thats not it. when I press the fire button the red lights in the viewfinder do not go out. I have also tried the remote fire switch with no luck. I've also noticed that the safe load signal doesn work come on but there isn't any film in it so I don't know if it matters. Any help you can give would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

P

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 211

Posted on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try http://www.twid.de/x700/

Peterdemski
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will see about getting a new capacitor for the camera but from what I've read so far a bad capacitor seems to get the mirror stuck up (which mine isn't anymore). I guess it's worth a shot.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 182

Posted on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The mirror issue and the capacitor issue are not related.

The closing curtain does not have enough force to trip the mirror reset, likely due to lubricant degradation, curtain stiffness, film chips in the way, etc. Even if it resets the mirror, it may not have reset the wind lock.

It's time for a CLA

Peterdemski
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone have any information on resetting the wind lock or at least a basic how=to for checking to see if any of the wind gears are off?

Mikeb
Tinkerer
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you sure the curtain is fully closed? I had the same problem with an XG-9. What I did was gently push the curtain fully closed with the dull end of a toothpick until I heard the clicking noises of it resetting you described. Then I again fired the shutter and again pushed the curtain closed. After a couple of dozen times doing this the curtain would close enough (but not quite fully closed) that I didn't have to push it with the toothpick for it to reset. I continued exercising it with my winder by firing it off perhaps a couple of hundred times. At some point the curtain started closing all of the way and viola all was good.
I think excercising it allowed the mechanism to refresh itself perhaps by redistributing whatever lubrication is in there or perhaps just forcing moving parts to move again was all it needed. Anyway, it worked for me. Good luck getting yours working.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration