Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Burke & James 4x5 Press Camera questi... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Burke & James 4x5 Press Camera question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ccondon
Tinkerer
Username: Ccondon

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I picked up a Kodak Retina in an auction last summer, and it came in a big box of stuff. The bottom of the box had a 4x5 Burke & James that seems to be in decent shape (mostly cosmetic issues).

One problem with the camera is that when I extend the bellows, nothing seems to lock them in place, The bellows simply contract and pull back the lens, which would make it very difficult to use. Does anyone have any ideas on exactly what is wrong? There are a few pictures of the camera hosted at

http://picasaweb.google.com/q.of.c415/Camera?authkey=Gv1sRgCNrzw9zvxIuZQw#

It appears that the nub to the right in front of the lens board is very loose. I can supply better pictures of specific things if it would help.

I intend on trying to fix this, as I'd like to try out large format photography.

Also, the shutter sticks on the longer shutter speeds. I haven't decided on whether to try to clean it myself, or just spend the extra cash and send it to a professional. How hard is it to clean yourself?

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 213

Posted on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 04:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The front standard is locked in place by the two milled silver posts below the lens. You're supposed to squeeze them, pull the front out and release. The left post (from your point of view) is supposed to be spring loaded and provide the pressure against the rail to keep the front in position. My guess is the area needs cleaning in order that the parts move freely. This (and your shutter) can be cleaned out with a can of degreasing spray like 5-56 Electronics Cleaner.

Instruction manual is free at http://www.butkus.org/chinon/large_format.htm

Ccondon
Tinkerer
Username: Ccondon

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 08:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hm... Thanks for the info.

It appears that something larger is wrong.

When the bellows are extended, the left post (both are labeled as 'O' in the manual) moves back and forth freely, and the right post is stuck in, and will not move outwards. I lent my digital camera out, so I can't take a picture of the bottom of the thing that those nubs are attached to (the "lens standard"?) right now, but as soon as I get it back I'll post a picture. I don't know if a piece is missing or broken, but nothing seems to touch the pieces of metal those nubs connect to.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration