Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Prontor Slow Speed Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Prontor Slow Speed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jnoir
Tinkerer
Username: Jnoir

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there!

I have a Prontor-S shutter that I have dismantled in order to clean it. It's not the first one I have cleaned, however it's the first one I am trying to adjust the slow speeds. As often happens, speeds below 1/10 are too slow, the 1sec setting runs for a bit more than two seconds, and so on.

I have been reading, I even checked Romney's manual, but its section for Gauthier shutters is not as complete as I need. So, I checked Daniel R. Mitchell's webpage, and found some information: as you can see in http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php?page=prontor the last paragraph but one states: "The slow speed range can be adjusted by spreading the gap at the pallet end of the shutter. This changes the position of the pallet. Usually, once the shutter is clean it will work properly without any adjustment."

My problem is, English not being my primary language, I'm not sure I understood how to proceed, therefore I'm asking rather than start messing everything up. Could someone provide me a different explanation of how to proceed in order to clean and adjust the slow speeds of a Prontor shutter? Using Daniel's images as reference will be more than welcome (I suggest using the last image on that page, as it shows the speed governor clear and opened).

Many many thanks in advance for your help!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1021

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First, make sure that you really have the escapement clean. Second, if it does not run smoothly when dry, apply a very small drop of very thin oil to (1) the teeth of the pallet; (2) the axle shaft of the pallet; and (3) the axle shaft of the star wheel. You will probably notice the slow speeds running faster after this.

If the slow speeds are still too slow, this is usually adjusted by sliding the escapement: loosen the screw at the end of the escapement nearest to the pallet, and slide that end just slightly closer to the center of the shutter. Test and see if this makes a change, and repeat back and forth until you are happy with the speeds. If the 1 second setting is between 3/4 and 1.5 seconds, you're probably as good as it ever was.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration