Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

ARGUS C2? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » ARGUS C2? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brandon
Tinkerer
Username: Brandon

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 04:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First post. I have what I think is an Argus c2. Has a small paper sticker inside that says PAT PENDING and ANN ARBOUR MICHIGAN.Looking at pictures on the net it does look very much like an early model.
I would like to get it to work. I have seen numerous sites as well as the argus owners site.
However I do need some help. The cocking lever sometimes becomes "loose" for want of a better word and then i fiddle with it and it tightens itself and manages to work.

The main problem is that the shutter does nothing. It doesn't move one bit after i have cocked and fired it. I sprayed some alcohol spray from the back onto the blades hoping it would release them. Seems like that's not the right thing from what I have now read. I am prepared to take it apart but just want to know how to proceed and what I can expect. As you can gather I am new to all of this!

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 219

Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 04:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The difference between a C2 and C3 is the C2 doesn't have flash capability.

To open a C2 you peel off the covering on the front and remove the screws. Also you remove the cocking lever, lens, etc. I don't believe the speed dial needs removal.

Inside, the shutter is a copper ribbon with a doo-hickey to the cocking lever thingy and a "claw" over the shutter leaf mechanism. Usually the ribbon has disconnected, snapped, etc., or something is not touching something else. Very easy to fix these things. Just look at it. It should explain itself. I had one that snapped once. Simply soldered it back together.

If you mess up the covering when it is removed, buy a re-leathering kit at cameraleather.com

Brandon
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 05:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay....that means mine is an early C3 as it has the two holes on the side for the flash.
How do you remove the lens? What about the blades? Must i clean/lube them?

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 220

Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Argus C3 has an interchangeable lens. An instruction manual is here at: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/argus/argus_c-3/argus_c-3.htm

I've seldom seen the blades needing cleaning but, if they are sticky, use the usual lighter fluid flush-out or, better yet, a can of electronics cleaner like 5-56 makes (I buy mine at Ace Hardware). 5-56 dries clean and leaves no oily residue to gum up later on.

You might find more data on C3 and its exact vintage at the Argus Collector Group: http://www.arguscg.org/

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 74

Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

See Rick Oleson's great notes on the C3:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-86.html

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 52

Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I enjoyed Rick Oleson's notes, and printed 'em off! Thanks! They WERE pretty good cameras. My dad thought that they were the best camera ever made, but then he liked "Gramma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" too. I used one back in the early '70's for a college photography course, and came out good. Somehow, I've wound up with 3 of the things without trying...

Brandon
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 01:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the advice. Will start soon. I'm sure i will have more questions at a later stage....Thanks.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration