Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Argus C3 broken part Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Argus C3 broken part « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brandon
Tinkerer
Username: Brandon

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 02:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seems as if its broken? The shutter wont open when i fire it. I set it up so that the two pins engage. it fires once then the shutter opens and then it must jump out of place because after that it wont work again. Looks like this broken piece may be the cause. I dont understand how it keeps jumping out of place though. Can the spring be too tight or is it this broken part that is the cause?

Any suggestions on how to repair this? I have no access to any spares.

shutter

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 205

Posted on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

YOur diagnosis is unfortunately at least partially correct. I opened up a C-3 to make sure. That piece is not only broken but there is a part missing. The pot metal rod you see now in two pieces should be one piece, with a little pin where it is now broken. The pin held a small steel pawl, which is nowhere to be seen in your picture. I will try to get a macro shot of mine to put here.

I think your best bet is to keep looking for another whole C-3 with the piece intact, since C-3's are pretty common and often quite cheap. Other than that, all I can think of would be to try putting that piece back together with epoxy, but you'll gain nothing unless you can also come up with the steel pawl too, and I think because it broke at the pin, it's pretty sure that the pin will pull the break apart no matter how well glued. unbroken argus pawl

edited to add: Looking at it I now see that there is actually a piece missing from the pot metal rod as well. Somewhere at some time that must have fallen out along with the pawl. Unless you find both pieces you're out of luck fixing this one.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 9

Posted on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 07:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It almost looks as if that piece could be manufactured from thin steel stock, although those two little wedge-like pieces in the middle might be a bit hard to handle. Are they part of the same pot-metal piece? Shouldn't be hard to cut it out with a jeweler's saw and files. (You'd probably need a good part for a template, though. Maybe better to look for a parts camera ...)

Brandon
Tinkerer
Username: Brandon

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. Since my first post i also figured out what you have told me. That part is not going to get fixed. It will have to be replaced with a spare.When i opened it there were no loose/broken pieces and it looked as if someone must have gone in to try and fix it.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 206

Posted on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 08:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Brandon is on the right track, just to go for another part, given how common Argus c-3's are. If this were some rare and historic camera, one could, I'm sure, repair or remanufacture the part, but it would be madness to try.

For David nebenzahl: the two wedge shaped pieces are actually a one piece pawl, pivoted on that little pin, and kept in place by the flat spring which is pinned to the top of the bar. It's a very clever arrangement, in which the flat spring functions not only to guide the bar but also to load the pawl. But this means that the bar is more complicated than it first appears, because it must have a slot in it to accommodate the pawl and to allow the pawl to pivot. To attempt that with files and jeweler's saws would be challenge. A miniature machinist could do it easily enough, but unless you're a miniature machinist yourself, you'd end up paying many times the value of another C-3, and at the end you'd still face the challenge of removing the spring from the old part and pinning it to the new one without damage.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration