Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica Auto S2 Problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Konica Auto S2 Problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Debcsr09
Tinkerer
Username: Debcsr09

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok... so I'm new to film cameras and found a Konica Auto S2 camera at a thrift store. Immediately I fell in love. When I first bought it, it had film in it already. The camera was also functioning correctly for the most part, i.e. the cocking lever and shutter button etc were fine. When the film reached the end, I rewound it and removed the film. Upon inserting new film, I found that the cocking lever wouldn't budge. Also, when you press down the shutter button it does not make the regular clicking noise one would assume would happen. On the bottom of the camera the rewind button is pushed all the way down. I feel as though this may be as easy as getting this rewind button to pop up, but I have no idea how to do so.. Either that or something is broken/jammed.

Also, something is wrong with the self-timing lever. It was sort of jammed and then I moved it.. and the lever broke. I don't know what to do.. I am at a loss. Please help.

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 151

Posted on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 03:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What do you mean by "the lever broke"? This lever is part of a clockwork mechanism and usually breaks only when it is forcefully and wrongly operated. I suspect that after the camera quit you cocked the self-timer which then added to the problem, in other words the camera is now completely jammed as the shutter cycle cannot be completed as long as the self-timer prevents this. Although the Konica Auto S2 is not too difficult to repair a novice may be unable to cope with it. These pictures may help you understand how things are related, see this link for info on the innards of the camera http://feuerbacher.net/photo/frame.html ("cameras" section, article about "Konica Auto S 2") and a similar shutter http://www.pheugo.com/cameras/index.php?page=copalmxv (third picture).
See for yourself if you like to step in on the matter.

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 117

Posted on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 05:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The camera has an interlock that prevents wind on and exposure until the back is closed. There is a lever about 1/3 the way along from the right, in the top light seal channel, that springs out when the back is open. Push that lever in with a toothpick and see if the rewind button pops out and the film counter resets.
Try to wind on, and if you can, the shutter button should be able to be pressed and the shutter fired.
Check to see that the metering cell on the front of the lens is at the 12 o'clock position, and that the outer lens barrel does not turn freely. It should be locked in position.
See how you go with that and then get back to us about the self timer lever.
Cheers
Greg

Virusesrus
Tinkerer
Username: Virusesrus

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Konica FT-1 with the mirror and shutter stuck in the open position. I put batteries in the camera and pushed the shutter button. Film was not in the camera. Batteries check out with volt meter,and contacts are clean. Any suggestions for an easy fix. I don't use the camera and want to give it to a grandchild for a class.

Harryrag
Tinkerer

Post Number: 152

Posted on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nickon, what you describe does by no means affect the wind lever or the rewind release button in any way, at last in the two dozen K Auto S2 cameras that went through my hands, but the lever sticking put does reset the frame counter to zero. On the camera in my hands film winding and shutter release is possible no matter whether the camera back is open or not.

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 118

Posted on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 06:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are right Harry, I can only plead senility and laziness.

Harryrag
Tinkerer

Post Number: 157

Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 03:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never mind, things like this happen to me all the time and I use the same apologies.

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 70

Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 05:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Harry, don't loose your rag. Is that where you got your name from?

Why don't you just come out and say that Deb is incapable of fixing this because that's what your implying. You don't need to lay all the other s**t on her.

If you've got something useful that will help her, like the link to Mick Feuerbacher's site, then fine, but trying to scare her off by showing her the inside of a Copal shutter is of no help whatsoever.

If you're the S2 expert you claim to be, at least tell her where the wind lock is so maybe she can unlock it and take it from there.

Harryrag
Tinkerer

Post Number: 158

Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 06:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As far as I can see nobody here asked for abusive remarks. You are in fact reading ulterior motives into my posting that are not there and probably only exist in your very own awry way of looking at things. But perhaps you can go on playing the knightly cavalier and help her do what has to be done.

Monopix
Tinkerer

Post Number: 71

Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nope, I can't help as I know nothing about the S2. That, according to you, is your area of expertise.

I think it is you who are reading things into posts that are not there. Did the OP say she moved the ST lever after the camera locked? No. So why have you assumed she had.

To openly claim you are some sort of an expert by telling us all how many of these you have fixed and then to flatly refuse to help the OP other than to effectively tell her she's incapable, is nothing short of childish.

We all started somewhere. There was a day when you knew nothing about camera repair. I guess someone helped you then. If you're not prepared to do the same for someone else, then why did you post in the first place - just to boost your own ego no doubt.

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 66

Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, the short answer to your question is that there is probably nothing you can do to "fix" it without opening the shutter an/or removing the bottom plate.

The good news is that there is probably nothing actually broken --except your self-timer lever...and you can do quite well without that, once the camera is repaired.

For someone with a little experience, it is also not especially difficult to repair the camera. And if you try and fail, then no big deal-- because it's only worth a few dollars in it's present condition.

Harryrag
Tinkerer

Post Number: 159

Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quite right, Mr Robinson, there were really nice people here in those remote days. They were eager to help and so was I responding to Debcsr09 who can surely speak for herself and also ask questions, which she has not done by now.
I am by no means an expert and have never claimed to be one, but prejudiced people never care much about details. Can't you read, man? In her first and only post she says she moved the ST, and that and nothing else inspired my conclusion, but, again, this is beyond your recognition. Until recently I took you for someone the forum can be proud of, but the amount of self-rigteousness in your revealing posts above defies description. I feel kind of sorry for you.

Monopix
Tinkerer

Post Number: 72

Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So for someone who claims names are unimportant, you seem to take great delight in using mine. I suppose you think that's clever. At least I don't hide behind false descriptions of myself.

It is, alas, you who need to try reading other's posts more carefully and not reading into them what isn't there - but I know I'm wasting my time here. You might also reconsider what the word 'help' means because if your first post in this thread is your idea of helping, Lord help us all.

My apologies to the OP for screwing up her thread. I hope that someone who does actually know what they are talking about gives some real help.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 19

Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with you, Monopix. It should be left up to the DIYer to decide whether they are competent to tackle a certain repair job, and not simply dismissed with a wave of the hand: "Oh, that's too complex a job for anyone but an expert." Either tell them how to do it, or get off the microphone and let someone else do it.

Monopix
Tinkerer

Post Number: 78

Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Either tell them how to do it, or get off the microphone and let someone else do it."

Amen!

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 48

Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, can we get back to trying to help the OP?

Having looked at my S2, the shutter button and film advance will not operate with the rewind button depressed.
Deb, if you are still following this thread, I am no expert, but here is what I would try before tearing apart the shutter:
Remove the bottom plate of the camera, there are 4 screws. Be careful of small parts falling out. I have not had to remove the bottom plate of my camera, so I'm not exactly sure of what is in there. Look for a lever that engages the rewind button and prevents it from popping back out. Move this lever and try to advance the film lever or press the shutter button. Hopefully this will free up the shutter button and lever.
If you can get the shutter to fire, this may fix the self timer problem. I would make sure the aperture ring is not on "AUTO" and that the flash lever is set on "X" (the timer is not supposed to work on "M" -this may have caused it to jam in the first place).
This is a start, see if it helps.

Just for the record, I have found this forum to be extremely helpful. I am somewhat embarassed by the arguing that I am reading, especially when this is supposed to be a response to someones first posting.
It was not long ago that I was a first timer, and many of you were very kind and understanding with your helpful responses. You have saved more that a few of my cameras from becoming paperwieghts.
Lets remember why this forum exists and try to get along.
Happy Holidays.

One other thing I just thought of. If there is no battery in the camera, and it is set to "Auto", you will not be able to press the shutter button or advance the film. Try the camera when set on a different aperture setting.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration