Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica FX3 mirror: How to keep in pl... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Yashica FX3 mirror: How to keep in place? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 32

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

A fellow co-worker asked me to take a look at his Yashica FX3 Super 2000 (35mm SLR) that is getting jammed. Upon inspection, I found the problem is that the mirror is sliding down slightly and when it comes up it jams into the lens if focused at infinity, or the aperture ring if the lens is set to f4 or f5.6
The mirror is not loose. I forced it slightly and got it to move back ever so slightly, but enough to have it working. It puts quite a resistance. But after about 20 cycles it jammed again. I pushed it back again but the question is, how can I keep it from sliding down? Can I put a tiny drop of CA glue between the mirror and the base? I don't want to do any un-necessary disassembly as I'm not very familiar with this camera.

Thanks,
Ismael

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 188

Posted on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have had some posts on this before.

It is a known problem on some related cameras:

Yashica FX-D
Yashica FX-70
Yashica FX-3
Contax 139

The mirrors are glued in place with a thermoelastic glue. The problem is usually caused by the camera being left in an automobile in a hot climate. The glue becomes plastic and the mirror slides out of place. The glue seems to have a memory so it needs to be re-melted.

One solution I have used, and have recommended here before, is to use a hair dryer or other heating tool to re-melt the glue and move the mirror back into place. You need to get it back to the temperature it encountered in the automobile; likely 140-150 degrees F.

This is a bit risky and anyone trying this accepts full responsibility for the results, but patience seems to work, and I have not heard about any failures yet.

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 33

Posted on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cool! Thanks Mikel!
ahhh I mean, hot! :-)
Here in the tropics, I have seen 200+ degrees F inside a car in the parking lot.
I'll ask him for the camera again to try that. I'll report back the results.

Thanks,
Ismael

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration