Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica Auto S2 mystery part Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Konica Auto S2 mystery part « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 45

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Upon removing the top of my S2 for cleaning, this little metal piece fell out. Actually, I noticed it slipping out from the top near the viewfinder before I removed the cover.
Does anyone know where it is supposed to go? I can't see any obvious place where it belongs and I can't see it on any of the photos posted on various websites.
S2 mystery part

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 154

Posted on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do not have a K Auto S2 open at present, but this small metal part bridges the gap on the upper end of the die cast metal body underneath the movable black sheet metal parallax correcting window of the viewfinder and serves as a light seal. Putting it back there requires removing the viefinder module as a whole or peeling off the leatherette and taking off the front lens carrier panel. It is usually glued there, but tends to fall off when the glue gets brittle.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 46

Posted on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the information, I will have a look.
I find it odd, because the area you are describing is at the front of the camera. I first saw it slipping out at the back of the camera, near where it is positioned in the photo. How did it get all the way across the camera?

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 155

Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 02:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Waynemel, of course it is at the front. You wrote "...I noticed it slipping out from the top near the viewfinder before I removed the cover" and that is exactly where it can easily get when slipping out of its original place. Take a good look at the Auto S2 with its viefinder out of the way here http://kans1948-web.hp.infoseek.co.jp/restore14.html#konicaautos2, on top of the body in the middle there is a kind of trapeze-shaped bridge with a recess underneath of exactly the same length as your "mystery part". Its shorter side exactly fits down into the recess, the protruding longer ends are glued to the camera body between the bridge and the lens barrel, the longer side facing to the front. You should be able to see traces of glue on the body and the metal part which sometimes is made of stamped out blue steel or looks greyish, like in your case.

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 119

Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 06:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a couple more photos that may help.
These are taken with the lens assembly removed. The second photo shows where the plate is glued in place.
Cheers

Light shield plate

Underneath the plate

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 47

Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks folks. I have located the place and glued the part back in.
I guess it must have become unglued and slid underneath the rangefinder assembly to where it was "peeking out" at me when I first noticed something loose.
Now I have another mystery part, this time a small spring that fell out of the shutter!
I will ask for more help if I am unable to locate where it should go.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration