Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Bellows light leak/pin hole repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Bellows light leak/pin hole repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Frankl
Tinkerer
Username: Frankl

Post Number: 12

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 05:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good morning all...
I just posted an "idea" over on the "Maintenance & Repair" forum, that may have been better posted over here, so here it is:

At the risk or repeating a previous suggestion, I will go ahead anyway .... I recently got an old agfa "Billy" 4,5. It was a little rough but, I have managed to get everything working well, except for a few "leaks" in the bellows, at the folded corners. I have been reading alot pertaining to replacing bellows, repairs etc. and, just noticed a can of "Brush-On Electrical Tape" here in my shop. I am a Ham Radio Op. also and, use it to "weatherize" outside antenna connectors..... I figured "why not?". I used a toothpick, dipped in the solution and "filled" the voids with liquid tape... I have absolutely no idea yet, how well or how long it will work but, it sure looks good! Anyway, I got all excited and just wanted to share that with others that may be wanting to correct similar problem or, if it's already been done, find out if it will be a good "fix" or not. The product is called "Brush-On Electrical Tape" by Blue Magic, Inc., Conroe, TX 77303, USA. Their web site is www.cargobluemagic.com and, the phone is 1-800-554-3014. I got this in an auto parts store.
Best regards to all.
Frank

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer
Username: Olly_ympus

Post Number: 57

Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's a good idea. Any flexible silicone RTV in a tube might work too.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 125

Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Frank: Just make sure it's not too thick impeding flexing and closing...73s Don WN4DEM

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 82

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It works great. That liquid tape can not be found here in France but I ordered some to my family in the US and it works great.
Has anybody tried to thin it out with a solvent?

Rlc
Tinkerer
Username: Rlc

Post Number: 35

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently tried to thin liquid tape with a small amount of naptha to repair pin hole in Pentacon shutter curtain. Results were unsuccessful as the liquid became translucent.
Richard Creviston.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 135

Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been successful with a couple of cameras plugging pin holes by pushing a pin down through the hole, coating the pin point with a small blob of black silicone rubber and then pulling the pin back up through the hole, followed by a thin smear of silicone ruuber where the pin was. Leave camera back and bellows open for a few days while the rubber cures.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 161

Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Iv'e used it too and just watch you don't get too much Or the bellows won't close , I have a small bellows someone might want It measures 2 3/4 by 2 inches on the rear and 1 1/2 by 1 inch on the front. normal open front to back is about 2 inches. 73s Don WN4DEM

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 24

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use black fabric paint I buy at Sprawl-Mart. It is cheap, flexible, easy to find in the arts-and-crafts section, and easy to apply. I've never used it on a bellows, but I've painted both shutter curtains on a Praktina and it seems to wear well.

Studiocarter
Tinkerer
Username: Studiocarter

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mars black acrylic paint did not work as it flaked off and the hole didn't stay closed. Oil paint didn't work either.
What seems to be the answer is liquid tape. It dries fast, flat, black, not sticky, and it streaches like a rubber band. Some was painted on a plastic box and later peeled off. The dip version must be even thicker. It is strong, too. I suspect it could be used to coat a fabric. It can be had from www.hilltronix.com

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 158

Posted on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The pin trick n black silicon works great.

Sevo
Tinkerer
Username: Sevo

Post Number: 45

Posted on Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 04:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liquid tape seems attractive as it is cheap and already black. However, it is too thixotropic, does not contain enough pigment, and is formulated for thick-layer application on metal. On shutter fabric, chances are that it will stiffen the fabric or fails to bind to it. I only use it on bellows, as these may be quite a bit stiffer than a curtain.

Waterproof fabric cements and sealants like McNett Aquasure or Seam Grip, with artists carbon black added until opaque, are more flexible and bind better to shutter curtains, and are designed for heavy use on fabric.

Sevo

Beamascope
Tinkerer
Username: Beamascope

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, April 29, 2011 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used the liquid electrical tape on a bellows that was quite bad. As the camera is mostly for display I wasn't concerned about it closing anymore. I did run a roll through it and there were no light leaks. Now I want to replace the bellows with "new" ones so it will again be able to be closed. It did work well but with so many holes I pretty much just repainted the whole thing with liquid tape!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration