Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How to clean alkaline battery leakage... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » How to clean alkaline battery leakage in Nikon F801 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Loladog
Tinkerer
Username: Loladog

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I left the alkaline batteries in my Nikon, one exploded and I would like to know how to clean the leakage.

thanks

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 11

Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use vinegar to clean corrosion out of my old flashlights. I'd expect you'd want to take it slow and easy with a camera.
Marty

Loladog
Tinkerer
Username: Loladog

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 153

Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In my experience (happens a lot with old flashes) you can clean the contacts enough to make it work fine, but once the plating has been either scraped or corroded off, you'll probably have to clean them off again periodically. So be prepared for having occasionally to wiggle the batteries to get good contact, and eventually to have to get in and buff or scrape the affected contacts. If the material is right, and if you can access contacts without damage, sometimes it's possible to lay a thin coat of solder on the metal, to stand in for the plating.

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 76

Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Radio Shack sells a contact cleaner/protector pen that looks like a felt tip. It removes corrosion from electrical contacts and prevents future corrosion on raw brass and copper. One pen will probably last a lifetime.

Thecameracurecom
Tinkerer
Username: Thecameracurecom

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the best cleaner I've found to clean corrosion is ammonia mixed 3:1 with window cleaner. can't get any cheaper and works great. You may still have to do a little scraping.

Mickeyobe
Tinkerer
Username: Mickeyobe

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Radio Shack's pen works well. It uses fibreglass in its pen.

However, the last time i tried to get a refill or a new pen they were no longer available.

I cut an 8" length from a very cheap solid fibreglass fishing rod. I roughed it up a little. Rubbing it on the camera contacts after the vinegar treatment works very well. I also put it in the chuck of my wonderful old Foredom flexible shaft machine and it takes little time to have clean contacts.

Mickeyobe
Tinkerer
Username: Mickeyobe

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Addendum

"I roughed it up a little."
That is I roughed up the end a little to make it more abrasive.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 174

Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used lighter fluid on a Q-Tip. If it needs it, alcohol next.

Puterpro
Tinkerer
Username: Puterpro

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to throw in my 2 Cents ...
The Contact cleaner being referred to is from a Company called CAIG Labs. They make contact cleaners and enhancers for NASA, Boeing, Bose, HP, and many industries. You can order online.
Have used their stuff for years on all my Audio & Video connectors, battery contacts, etc. Nothing that has a contact in my house goes without it! (I've been an Electronics Tech with Design, Bench Repair, Assembly line, etc, history for 41 years ...) This stuff has saved my a** more times than I can count. Really helps as a preventative measure, I NEVER have contact failures. Oh - and, no, I'm NOT a shill for the company, just a very satisfied customer.
If you go to their website, http://www.caig.com you may be confused by the terminology. They have PDF application charts that will help, but to get you started:
1. They changed their name for several products, so you'll see a lot of "Formally ..."
2. The main Contact cleaner / enhancer is DeoxIt. This is for most uses.
3. The one to use on GOLD contacts is DeoxIt Gold.
4. DeoxIt Shield is primarily for outdoor or harsh environments. Also available as a grease. Great for outdoor electrical outlets!
5. They even have contact REPAIR products for keyboards, remotes, etc that use those conductive contacts on plastic, also circuit board repair products!
5. Best deal is to look at their kits, they're cheaper than piecemeal. Product is sold in applicators by pen with fiberglass tip (mentioned above), needle tip, spray, brush, etc.
All you need to do is read some reviews from major companies to know these guys are NOT selling snake oil ...! {Grin} Ain't cheap, but works as advertised, and they have a hotline you can call for advice on a particular problem.
Highly Recommended.

Have fun, and hope this helps someone!
PuterPro

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration