Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet lens SE 1,9/45 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Canonet lens SE 1,9/45 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 45

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 03:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Inspired by some other thread here I pulled out an unfinished Canonet QL 19 which I had bought as beyond repair.
At first I thought the only thing I had to repair was the shutter cocking mechanism. But the ST was literally broken, the speed governor was incomplete and wrongly put together. Also the rangefinder had been tampered with by an obviously ignorant or incompetent previous repairer. But the worst was still to come: the lens does not produce any picture at all, it just delivers colourful spots on the inspection ground glass. No alignment method can change this. That makes me think that the visible scratches around the notches of the rear lens group do not mean that this lens half could not be removed through the film door. On the contrary, it means someone probably put in a wrong lens group to make the camera look complete! Compared to a good QL 19 of roughly the same vintage the rear lens looks smaller and the last glass element is considerably smaller in diameter. The QL 19's I own show minor but not ony cosmetic differences.
The question now is if Canon changed the lens formula of the SE 1,7/45 during production of different batches of early and not so early Canonets, like with the "... are subject to change without prior notice" kind of thing.
Any help is appreciated.

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 46

Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 07:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found the answer to my problem.
No wonder that the lens cannot perform the way it is expected to, that jerk removed the rear lens glass plus its retainer ring instead of unscrewing the inner lens group in his unsuccessful attempt of getting deeper into the camera, and never put it back. Which leaves me with a fully opperational camera without a complete lens. That is really annoying.

Has anybody got a junker they want to part with?

Afrika61
Tinkerer
Username: Afrika61

Post Number: 13

Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got one here.
I picked it up to get a clean top cover and I swapped over covers. I put a roll of film through it for kicks and it does shoot.
Posatge and enough for a si-pack good with you?
Mike

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration