Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pimp My Petri Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Restoration » Pimp My Petri « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer
Username: Sauli_särkkä

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.saulisarkka.com/gallery/Other/Petri%207S%20Snake%20Skin/slides/DSC_64 43.html

I had thought about replacing the regular black leatherette with a snake skin leatherette and tested two small patches on this Petri 7S I have. I know I'll have to re-do the whole thing again, once I find a more suitable glue (taking hints on this.. ;) ) and get the sizes of the new pieces a little closer to home + get them cut more cleanly.

-Sale

Jon_goodman
Tinkerer
Username: Jon_goodman

Post Number: 22

Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use double-sided pressure sensitive adhesive. Would you like to try that?
Jon

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 01:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That would probably do the trick; I've seen several recommendations for that thin double-sided tape.

The most difficult areas to get done nicely are the edges of the film back that curve inwards.

Does the licking method work with this tape?

-Sale

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tried looking for that double-sided tape, but just keep coming up on it at Micro Tools, where the stuff will cost me 35 bucks + postage (+ customs duties + VAT 22% for me). Is there a place (or individual) that could sell me the same or similar stuff in less than 60 yard lengths at a time..? ;)

10-15 or so yards/meters would probably last me a while.

-Sale

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 539

Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could try an Automotive Supply Firm, or try the stuff used by carpet fitters. The Micro-Tools product is good and very temperature and body oil stable, but I have used both auto and carpet tapes with good results in normal UK summer temperatures.

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My neighbor happened to have suitable, fairly thin carpet tape that seemed to work fine. Here's the result of last night's efforts:

http://www.saulisarkka.com/gallery/Other/Custom%20Pink%20Petri%207S/index.html

This may not be the typical color an ugly guy like me would pick, but it just doesn't look that horrible in my eyes, when it's next to black and chrome.

I'm hoping to re-do an Olympus 35 RC in a more subtle shade of red in the near future.

-Sale

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 91

Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's stylish. I like that combination - and a well done job BTW.

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Msiegel :-)

Once I get the thing properly serviced and finished, I'm going to list it on eBay to see if my efforts were even worth the leatherette.

Not really that much to do anymore, just the light seals and it's all done.

-Sale

Rlc
Tinkerer
Username: Rlc

Post Number: 68

Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sauli_särkkä ; You may want to contact Jon Goodman -Interslice is his ebay user name- for excellent light seals and advice for installing. Many of us use his excellent products and advice.
Richard.

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've actually already bought a set from him and just finished installing new light seals on this Petri 7S. (And yes, the kit was perfect and the seals were a quick thing to re-do. Thanks again, Jon :-) )

I tossed it up on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280329729772

I might end up getting less than what went into new seals and the leatherette, but who knows.. ;)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration